No announcement yet.

Yes or No to pop-under advertising (cookie security discussi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I surf I always have five+ windows open. Tweaktown now keeps poping to the front which can get very annoying. Is there anyway to stop that?

Or has it always been like that and I just didn't notice?

Thanks,
    Michael

Comment

That's just your computer telling you which of the open windows has the best content...go with it buddy :)
      My Machine

Comment

2 days has passed and I was proved wrong - pop under code has been added to TweakTown.

If you see anymore than one pop under ad per day, contact me straight away and I will go sick at our advertising agency!
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Persian Immortal just let me know if you have cookies blocked (e.g. if you have a HIGH level of Privacy in Internet Explorer) you will see a pop under each time you refresh a page since these ads are cookie based.

Either way, our advertising agency is aware of this and is looking to have the problem fixed within a week...

:thumb:
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Just go ahead and add *.tweaktown.com to your trusted sites list.
            The ads are not generated from this domain so it is cool.
            And Mr. Tweak isn't going to do anything nasty to your PC, so just take the TweakTown cookie - they are delicious and free.

Many internet advertisers have long been on my restricted sites list - to date, this has caused me no conflicts when accessing TweakTown. Even if those restricted domains are serving the ad content, tweaktown.com comes through just fine.

Good luck on this new venture Mr. Tweak!
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I'm getting a pop up with about every window I open.

Though right now it stopped. Hmmm...

I'll do what Mr. C says though. :D

Goo Idea!

Comment

whether or not you make this a "trusted site" is your choice - but do yourself a favor and take the cookie.

Tweaktown has been on my trusted site list for 1 1/2 years and it's never done me wrong.

Take my word for it, this is a very short list with exactly 7 sites total -- so I don't take making a site part of the "trusted" area lighlty at all.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Im getting a popup every page as well. (ACESS YOUR PC FROM ANYWHERE! ad) as long as I dont close it, it wont popup every page that i get served from tweaktown. I voted against including popunder/up ads on tweaktown. If you can guarantee no cookies are stored/used and the ads do as advertised (once ever 24hrs not page hit) then it could be tolerable and my vote changed.

Comment

It should do it - I just tested Mr.C's theory myself and if you add high security or block cookies altogether the pop under does display each time.

Like Mr.C said, add *.tweaktown.com to your trusted sites list and you should be right.
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Bahamut Zer0 in my experience there has never been any foul play on my system from having a cookie from tweaktown.

Having it also saves me from having to log in each time I arrrive in the forum -- and now, it also saves me from a whole lot af ads I'm hearing about. Yup, just 1 per 24 hours as prescribed.

Now, I can't testify what any cookies placed by the ads may do, but I assure you the cookie from TweakTown is pretty much the good things a cookie is supposed to be.

Those ads are not coming from TweakTown itself, but rather by a third-party advertiser. Enabling cookies from TweakTown will prevent an overabundance of the ads though as they are likely triggered by a lack of or expired time-date stamp on the cookie from TweakTown.

Here's how I do it, for those that may be unfamiliar with the process.
                      In the IE Window or Internet Control Panel;
                      For IE, click the "Tools" menu
                      Choose "Internet Options"

At this point, it is the same instruction for doing this through the Control Panel

Click the "Security" tab
                      Highlight the desired area icon at the top of the dialouge box -- in this case, the "Trusted Sites"
                      Click the "Sites" button, then a second dialouge box will appear
                      in the input field lableled "Add this Web site to the zone", type in
                      *.tweaktown.com
                      Click the "Add" button
                      Click the "OK" button
                      Click OK to exit the dialouge completely.

The wildcard character (*) is used to designate all content from the tweaktown.com domain -- so it catches www. or forum. or whatever -- it is all included that way.

The same process can be used to put a domain on the "Restricted" list.
                      Just follow the steps above ---- except choose the "Restricted Sites" icon.

again, use the *, as in *.stinkingwebadvert.net
                      In addition to adding a domain to the restricted list, I also like to customize the restricted zone by using the "Custom Level" button and disabling everything there, lock stock & barrel.

Truth is, most of the advertising on the web has been added to my restricted sites already, regardless of whether they appear in conjunction with this site or not -- I've been working on that list for a couple of years and it is still growing.

In this manner, by accepting the TweakTown cookies I do not get bombarded by the ads everytime I come here.
                      If you are concerned about cookies from the ads (which I state again, do not come from the tweaktown.com domain) then Internet Explorer has a pretty good tool built-in to deal with those.

The fact is, TweakTown is doing their best to control the frequency of the ads, but it is the cookie from that tweaktown domain that enables them to do so.

Comment

Could not have said it better myself.

Managing Director
                        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I couldn't have said it better myself Mr.C. I've just finished another 4 PC's that will go to their owners as secure against these bad cookies as I can make them atm. :thumb:
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Fact is, a lot of people aren't too keen on cookies. Actually the cookie was developed for some rather useful purposes. Like everything else though, the concept has been exploited by some groups and that has given the whole thing a bad reputation.

But if you think the TweakTown cookie may be suspect, I invite you to enable cookies globally for a surf session, then run Spybot Search & Destroy (that's right, it detects nasty cookies too:thumb: )

You won't find a cookie from TweakTown in the results list - I bet you that!

And those you do see, use the directions in my previous post to restrict the domain - then allow spybot to disintegrate 'em.

Like I said before, there are 7 places on the entire internet that I allow access to my PC by being "trusted" and TT is 1 of them --- why is that? Because in my book, TweakTown earned the priveledge fair 'n' square.

and if Mr. Tweak ever screwed it up, he knows I'd remove the priveledge in a heart beat :no:

Comment

7? :?:

Sheesh TT is the only one here. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                                7? :?:

Sheesh TT is the only one here. :D

I have the following added to make TweakTown totally trusted:

*.adtrix.com
                                *.netshelter.com
                                *.pricegrabber.com
                                *.thecounter.com
                                *.tweaktown.com (of course)
                                Managing Director
                                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Working...
                                X