SanDisk Extreme II 120GB RAID 0 SSD Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SanDisk Extreme II 120GB RAID 0 SSD Report

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "SanDisk Extreme II 120GB RAID 0 SSD Report"

Re: SanDisk Extreme II 120GB RAID 0 SSD Report

That is an excellent and important review for many reasons, all of them related to one key aspect. Most of the testing was done with an OS installed and the drive(s) filled with user data, as storage volumes are used in the real world. Reviews of SSDs are usually performed on empty drives, the best situation for performance as measured by benchmark programs. Does that type of testing really demonstrate the performance potential of a SSD as they are used in PCs as OS and storage drives? As this review shows, no it doesn't.

The graphs are loaded with information, and not just about this particular SSD. For example, we see that 4K random read speed from QD=1 to QD=4 is not faster for RAID 0 volumes, and is even a bit slower than a single SSD. That is one reason why SSD RAID 0 volumes do not seem faster than single SSDs in typical desktop usage.

The only thing I don't care for is the AS SSD "points" graphs. The points assigned by AS SSD are rather arbitrary and not documented AFAIK. I know AS SSD is popular among SSD owners due to its simplicity, but that is one of its drawbacks IMO.

IMO, the most important aspect of this review is the education and knowledge that it provides about SSDs in general. This is not the first time a review like this has been published, but they are rare and possibly not popular with many readers. It's great to see this type of reviewing done with SSDs, I hope it is a trend for TTown in the future.

(Hi Jon)

Comment

Working...
    X