The $210 Video Card Showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $210 Video Card Showdown

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "The $210 Video Card Showdown"

Re: The $210 Video Card Showdown

nicely written...
    what about 1 gb version of gtx 460.its value is around $ 40 more and its way better than 768 mb..its almost a new card not gtx 460..

Comment

First of all a great article. It has further cemented that I will be getting the MSI Cyclone 768 MB model as my replacement card (>.< crossing my fingers for contest).

Originally posted by manishjha18 View Post
      nicely written...
      what about 1 gb version of gtx 460.its value is around $ 40 more and its way better than 768 mb..its almost a new card not gtx 460..
      From what I have seen the 1 GB version of the card is really only needed at higher resolutions and bigger screen sizes. According to this, since I am using a 24in screen at 1920x1200 the 768 MB is more than enough for me at least. Another thing I have seen around the web is that the 1 GB can't be overclocked quite as much. If you compare Guru3D's review of the 1 GB version with their review of the 768 MB version and look at the overclocking results the 1 GB version only gave an additional 2 fps at 1920x1200, and at 2560x1600 it only managed 1 fps more than the 768 MB version with both cards maxed out and stable with voltage tweaks. Then finally you can look at the temperature differences. Overclocked the 1 GB runs about 5C hotter than the 768 MB version. Admittedly that isn't much but it is something.

And that leads to the other thing I wanted to post. I was reading an article on Guru3D comparing a bunch of different GTX 460 cards including this one. Here is the link:

GeForce GTX 460 review (roundup)

In the article they are able to get the clock speeds up a little bit higher by raising the voltage up to 1.1v (the maximum in MSI Afterburner). I would love to see how the comparison would come out if voltage tweaking came into play. From the looks of it the GTX 460 would probably further out perform the 5830.

Comment

how about the HD 5770 it's below $210 and one of the bang for the buck video card.
        HTPC

Intel Pentium G620
        ASRock H61M-ITX
        ATI Radeon HD5550
        Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB
        Seagate Barracuda 2x500GB
        XMBC Media Player

Comment

Working...
        X