ASRock X58 SuperComputer Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X58 SuperComputer Motherboard

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "ASRock X58 SuperComputer Motherboard"

Re: ASRock X58 SuperComputer Motherboard

Okay, the last page has a typo reversing the 4 and the 9's places in the price. The actual price is 294.99, not 249.99 as the conclusion wrongly stated. But the incorrectness doesn't end there. The really BIG boo-boo was the constant references to how cheap a nearly 300 motherboard is in reference to X58. Not even close. At 294.99, this board doesn't even enter the top 10 cheapest X58 motherboards on Newegg.

Here is the list of boards that actually deserve the opening description "one of the cheapest X58 boards out there":

1. MSI X58 Pro - $189.99 (Newegg)
    2. Gigabyte EX58-UD3R $199.99 (Newegg)
    3. DFI X58-T3H6 $229.99 (Newegg)
    4. MSI X58 Platinum $229.99 (Newegg)
    5. ECS X58B-A $239.99 (Newegg)
    6. DFI LP DK X58-T3eH6 $249.99 (Newegg)
    7. Asus P6T $249.99 (Newegg)
    8. Intel DX58SO $258.99 (Newegg)
    9. Gigabyte EX58-UD4P $259.99 (Newegg)
    10. Supermicro C7X58-O $269.99 (Newegg)

As seen by this list, Asrock doesn't even appear in it. I think the whole premise of this article, a value oriented X58 motherboard, was wasted and misleading. The most expensive of the top 10 cheapest motherboards is 25 dollars cheaper then the reviewed sample. The cheapest of the list is over 100 dollars cheaper!!! That's a massive gap. What were ya'll thinking in presenting this as a cheaper way to go X58???
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit View Post
      Okay, the last page has a typo reversing the 4 and the 9's places in the price. The actual price is 294.99, not 249.99 as the conclusion wrongly stated. But the incorrectness doesn't end there. The really BIG boo-boo was the constant references to how cheap a nearly 300 motherboard is in reference to X58. Not even close. At 294.99, this board doesn't even enter the top 10 cheapest X58 motherboards on Newegg.

Here is the list of boards that actually deserve the opening description "one of the cheapest X58 boards out there":

1. MSI X58 Pro - $189.99 (Newegg)
      2. Gigabyte EX58-UD3R $199.99 (Newegg)
      3. DFI X58-T3H6 $229.99 (Newegg)
      4. MSI X58 Platinum $229.99 (Newegg)
      5. ECS X58B-A $239.99 (Newegg)
      6. DFI LP DK X58-T3eH6 $249.99 (Newegg)
      7. Asus P6T $249.99 (Newegg)
      8. Intel DX58SO $258.99 (Newegg)
      9. Gigabyte EX58-UD4P $259.99 (Newegg)
      10. Supermicro C7X58-O $269.99 (Newegg)

As seen by this list, Asrock doesn't even appear in it. I think the whole premise of this article, a value oriented X58 motherboard, was wasted and misleading. The most expensive of the top 10 cheapest motherboards is 25 dollars cheaper then the reviewed sample. The cheapest of the list is over 100 dollars cheaper!!! That's a massive gap. What were ya'll thinking in presenting this as a cheaper way to go X58???
      There are two way this could have happened. The first is that Newegg is constantly changing prices and at the time of writing the board may have been listed for 249.99. From what I remember, Newegg has a monitoring system, when demand goes up the system automatically adjusts the price based on demand and the amount on hand. I have long forgotten all of the details so consider this just a touching of the base on how it all goes down. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
      <o:p></o:p>
      It could very well have been that the reviewer just dropped the ball either by failing to research properly or not confirming facts that were related to him by the sampling company...essentially his job.<o:p></o:p>
      While I do sometimes feel like a robot going through my checklist of facts to verify before, during and after writing a review the truth is that we are all just people and people do make mistakes. <o:p></o:p>
      As it sits now your grievance is valid and the review is incorrect. In the coming days we will make corrections to the review or beg Newegg to change the price to reflect our views of the product. Guess which one will happen first:)<o:p></o:p>
      Thank you for chiming in and helping us plug the leak on this QC issue. PM me your address and I will send you out a little token of our appreciation.<o:p></o:p>

Comment

Originally posted by chrisram View Post
        [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]There are two way this could have happened. The first is that Newegg is constantly changing prices and at the time of writing the board may have been listed for 249.99. From what I remember, Newegg has a monitoring system, when demand goes up the system automatically adjusts the price based on demand and the amount on hand. I have long forgotten all of the details so consider this just a touching of the base on how it all goes down.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
        I've read something along those lines also, sometimes the price changes a bit drastically like $99 to $199 or $299.
        Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Not to be rude in any way, I promise, but the first page of the review showed the right price. Was that a typo then? The first page showed the accurate 294.99 while the conclusion page showed the 249.99 price.

To be fair though, I watched the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R price jump all over the place for a few weeks before it settled into a downward constant trend. At first it launched at 209.99, then jumped up to 219.99, dropped to 199.99, then jumped back up to 209.99 before dropping again to it's current low. So it's entirely possible what you describe happened, but I do have some trouble buying that this motherboard was so popular that it jumped the price by 50 bucks. That's a much larger swing then the already far more popular and widely selling EX58-UD3R.

Edit: By the way, it's NOT a grievance at all. It's just a correction and an attempt to give you the correct information so that Tweaktown's good reputation stays that way. I'm sorry if I came off like my description was a grievance.
          Last edited by moshpit; 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM.
          Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
          Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green

Comment

Cheapness can be based on value as well as price. I found it odd that they didn't mention the nVidia Tesla (hence the supercomputer reference) or Xeon chip support. Things that make this board stand out from the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by brewta View Post
              Cheapness can be based on value as well as price. I found it odd that they didn't mention the nVidia Tesla (hence the supercomputer reference) or Xeon chip support. Things that make this board stand out from the crowd.
              I completely doubt that either of those features are exclusive to this board, and the Xeon part for sure isn't. ALL X58 motherboards will support the new s1366 Xeons. That's already established. It's just that Asrock are the only ones making it out to be a big deal as if they're the only ones doing it. Nvidia's Tesla is just a bunch of Quadros running CUDA, it's been done before and is doable on any SLI capable motherboard.

This board has nothing to make it stand out of the crowd. Even it's price is terrible when compared to other X58 boards with the same capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by criteriadan View Post
                I've read something along those lines also, sometimes the price changes a bit drastically like $99 to $199 or $299. <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/3325/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/3325/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
                agreed, once in awhile you see the prices go all over the place, sometimes for just a few hours.

Comment

Those are marketing gimmicks other companies could have used also.

Originally posted by brewta View Post
                  Cheapness can be based on value as well as price. I found it odd that they didn't mention the nVidia Tesla (hence the supercomputer reference) or Xeon chip support. Things that make this board stand out from the crowd.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/dell-latitude-e6400-xfr-rugged-laptop/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/dell-latitude-e6400-xfr-rugged-laptop/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...
                  X