Windows 7 and Vista (and XP) Simple Multi-Boot Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 and Vista (and XP) Simple Multi-Boot Guide

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "Windows 7 and Vista (and XP) Simple Multi-Boot Guide"

Re: Windows 7 and Vista (and XP) Simple Multi-Boot Guide

Did I get this right? to install Windows 7 beta Vista has to be installed first? I work with some guys that installed on new harddrive without Vista? Dave.

Comment

The guide is nothing more than an easy way to get a multiboot system up and going in a reasonably simple manner. Vista does not have to be installed to use the Windows 7 Beta... this guide just uses that as a starting point. Once you burn the ISO to disk it will load normally on a blank drive.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
        The guide is nothing more than an easy way to get a multiboot system up and going in a reasonably simple manner. Vista does not have to be installed to use the Windows 7 Beta... this guide just uses that as a starting point. Once you burn the ISO to disk it will load normally on a blank drive.
        Actually, Vista SP1 DOES have to be installed first to upgrade to Windows 7 beta.
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Windows 7: How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista

Comment

How to install the Windows 7 Beta

Microsoft says nothing about you need Vista to install

Comment

Sorry to disagree, but the ISO I downloaded the other day was put onto a clean drive. This was the 64-bit version. If yours requires Vista, you might want to get another download. Mine is listed as Build 7000 on the desktop backgroud after installation.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

I messed up somewhere along the line :|
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

This was a pretty good guide on multi-booting!

But what do you do in August after Windows7 goes out of public beta?

Do you just install Vista over Windows 7 and delete the extra partitions?

Some explanation would be appreciated on this

BTW....I installed Windows 7 on a "clean" drive without problem.
                  Last edited by Brewskie; 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Hey cameron, thanks for the guide, can i multi boot the 3 operating systems onto 3 seperate hard disks...one is 160gig and the 2 others are 120gig rather then partitioning???

Comment

why not use spare hdd separate to install window 7 alone and won't mess it up with vista or xp bootloader like that.
                      GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
                      New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
                      G
                      .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
                      MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
                      PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
                      Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

i have installed win7 vista and xp on seperate harddrives but bcdedit wont reconise the commands in the guide has anyone done this yet if so can u help i can boot into vista and win 7 now just cant sort the last bit to get xp into the boot as well
                        drives are as listed below hope someone can help as would rather be on seperate drives if possible thanks

vista = c:\
                        Win 7= D:\
                        XP = E:\
                        IF IT AIN'T BROKE
                        DON'T FIX IT

Comment

after messing around for a couple of hours i installed easy boot loader which done the trick but i would rather have been able to edit the windows boot manager well it will do for now anyone else want to do the same download EasyBCD 1.6 its free dont forget to change the drive letter first then select what operating system
                          hope it works for you
                          IF IT AIN'T BROKE
                          DON'T FIX IT

Comment

Kind of an oddball question. I'd like to put 2 XP and 1 vista/windows 7 on the same drive... so far doesn't seem to be a problem... unless I've missed something... highly likely. Now the crux of the matter. This drive to install the operating systems on is actually a RAID1 "drive". First why 2 XP's? One a stripped down XP for Flight Simulator 2004 (FSCOF FS9 etc), the next XP is a full fledged XP with all the bells and whistles for day to day use and the more likely Windows 7 may be my future and would like it to run in 64-bit mode (does that play in to the considerations here?). My rig is built to handle all mentioned operating systems, but will having them all on a RAID1 work? Also since this will all be NTFS, will they all be able to share my data drive(s) also raid 10 (0+1) and 5? I would assume, and we know how dangerous that is, thus this post, that each will have their own set of drivers to access the RAID configurations. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas or bad news.

Comment

The answer is yes I just finished putting it all together and it works as envisioned. Now to get my hands on Windows 7. Wonder out loud if you can upgrade from XP direct to 7?

Comment

Working...
                              X