DIY Case Mods - Suitcase turned into PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Case Mods - Suitcase turned into PC

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "DIY Case Mods - Suitcase turned into PC"

Re: DIY Case Mods - Suitcase turned into PC

Everything always turns out better the second time around. Good work on the case.

Comment

That is a very cool idea but, seeing as how you mounted the HDD and DVD Rom, are you sure they are being cooled enough? Seems to me that the HDD at least should have been mounted with more clearance on the bottom for better cooling. Looks like you would have enough room for a multiple HDD mount from a PC case for multiple HDD's.
      Also, it looks as if the PSU is mounted above the DVD Rom (even more heat to the DVD Rom) and how about posting the blueprints you may have made/used and the dimensions of the case. Looks like a cutting board the mobo is mounted to.
      I guess thats why it's called DIY?
      Last edited by Razorwindmo; 08-26-2008, 09:46 AM.

Comment

How is it running AJ? :)
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

The fact that the inside of the case is lined with PU foam made me dubious about heat removal, but in reality it all ran nominally with no more heat build up than a regular crappy case.

I chose a psu with a freaking huge cooling fan, and gave it its own air intake hole and exhaust vent to ensure that the psu heat does not pose a problem. that and DVD drives are practically indestructible, one of the least temperature dependant components. ever felt a dvd straight out of a power hungry laptop?

Unfortunately i dont have any of the templates for fans etc, but the best way is to buy a fan grill and jsut use that as a template. ditto for the mobo.

Yea the mobo tray is a sturdy (1cm thick) poly cutting board from Ikea, god i love Ikea!

The case dimensions are dependant on the components you want to put in, im sure if i had used a full ATX mobo or alternatively laptop hdd and cdrom, i could have gone smaller or bigger.

Originally posted by Razorwindmo View Post
          That is a very cool idea but, seeing as how you mounted the HDD and DVD Rom, are you sure they are being cooled enough? Seems to me that the HDD at least should have been mounted with more clearance on the bottom for better cooling. Looks like you would have enough room for a multiple HDD mount from a PC case for multiple HDD's.
          Also, it looks as if the PSU is mounted above the DVD Rom (even more heat to the DVD Rom) and how about posting the blueprints you may have made/used and the dimensions of the case. Looks like a cutting board the mobo is mounted to.
          I guess thats why it's called DIY?
          The system is running fine now, but have swapped back into my proper case now that i have a new case based project coming up... stay tuned...
          Andrew "Eightball103" Jones

Comment

Working...
          X