Crossfire HD 2900 XT vs. 8800 Ultra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfire HD 2900 XT vs. 8800 Ultra

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "Crossfire HD 2900 XT vs. 8800 Ultra"

Re: Crossfire HD 2900 XT vs. 8800 Ultra

Good review, but I think that the 2900 XT's CrossFire benchmarks were hobbled due to the P35's CrossFire ability.

Only Intel's 975X and ATi's RD600 chipsets support x8 + x8 PCI-E CrossFire. P35 and P965 only support x16 + x4.

Comment

Cat 6.6 and Cat 6.7 ?
      I can't use cat 6.6 and 6.7 on my HD2900XT. Am I missing something here?

Comment

I'm sorry, but did you guys just say that a 2 video card solution was better than a single video card solution and imply that this was some sort of revelation?

How realistic of a comparison is that? You're comparing apples to oranges.

How fanboy could you possibly be?

peace,
        Aielman

Comment

Two loud and extremely power sucking cards can beat a single more discrete, efficient and expensive one; how about two 8800 GTX vs. two HD 2900 XT guys?

Apples to oranges, two different markets/needs.

One asinine comparative test if I ever saw one - good job guys.

Comment

FB's are in here trying to defend their purchase with their whaa, whaa posts. Face it, depending on where you live and what resources you have available to purchase a Ultra it will usually cost just as much as a R600 CF so no need to about it. Just deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ECH View Post
              FB's are in here trying to defend their purchase with their whaa, whaa posts. Face it, depending on where you live and what resources you have available to purchase a Ultra it will usually cost just as much as a R600 CF so no need to about it. Just deal with it.
              Um...I haven't made a purchase of an Ultra. It would be a waste of money considering I could get a gtx for at least $100 less and then clock it 15% with no difficulty for free.

However...I do have an 8800 gts, which I bought for less than the 2900, which uses less energy, creates less heat, and has superior performance.

I was deeply disappointed by the ATI release of the 2900. I prefer the ATI crossfire solution to the SLI one. But all ATI did was manage to match 6 a 6 month old economy performance model of their competitor at a steeper price after a ridiculous amount of time of develpment for their new product. It was completely underwhelming.

And now there's a review telling people that if you buy 2 of them, you'll better the performance of a single, high end, overclocked, and overpriced ultra version of their competitor's flagship card that only a tiny fraction of the enthusiast market will ever consider purchasing.

So you're basically comparing a Diablo to a couple of RS4's and saying, well see...the Audis carry more people for less money. Well no kidding...they're supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by ECH View Post
                Um...I haven't made a purchase of an Ultra. It would be a waste of money considering I could get a gtx for at least $100 less and then clock it 15% with no difficulty for free.

However...I do have an 8800 gts, which I bought for less than the 2900, which uses less energy, creates less heat, and has superior performance.

I was deeply disappointed by the ATI release of the 2900. I prefer the ATI crossfire solution to the SLI one. But all ATI did was manage to barely match a 6 month old 3rd string performance model of their competitor at a steeper price after a ridiculous amount of time of develpment for their new product. It was completely underwhelming.

And now there's a review telling people that if you buy 2 of them, you'll better the performance of a single, high end, overclocked, and overpriced ultra version of their competitor's flagship card that only a tiny fraction of the enthusiast market will ever consider purchasing.

So you're basically comparing a Diablo to a couple of RS4's and saying, well see...the Audis carry more people for less money. Well no kidding...they're supposed to.

Comment

And yet noone on the planet knows how ANY new DX10 video card does while runnign a DX10 game, yet you are all experts. You all need to shut the hell up and wait for some DX10 games and then tell us which card is better..........
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                  Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                  Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate
                  Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
                    And yet noone on the planet knows how ANY new DX10 video card does while runnign a DX10 game, yet you are all experts. You all need to shut the hell up and wait for some DX10 games and then tell us which card is better..........

What does dx10 performance matter? There aren't going to be enough dx10 games out for it to be that big of a factor in video card design for the better part of a year. And it will be even longer before you no longer need a card with good dx9 performance. What the card does right now, today, in the games currently available is what's important. By the time you have to have a dx10 card, there will be a whole new generation of cards out by both Nvidia and ATI...and Intel will have their discreet card ready to roll.

The 2900 is a massive disappointment, and anyone saying otherwise is either trying to sell them, or a hopeless fanboy.

peace,
                    Aielman

Comment

BECAUSE IT IS A DX10 VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHAT MATTERS!!!!

Besides that, all it takes is a few game makers to tailor their DX10 game engines to the HD2900 and it will smoke the 8800.

As for being a hopeless fanboy, look who's talking. You have no idea what you are talking about at all and it shows.
                      Last edited by casecutter; 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM.
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate
                      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

This review is AMD propoganda!

Everyone knows that the 8800 Ultra is highly overpriced and a complete joke. If you want to be an AMD fanboy, you can just claim that.

But since the 8800 GTX now costs only 480$, which is the price of the new 2900XT 1GB, 8800 GTX is by FAR the best choice. 2900XT CrossFire is pathetic.

Comment

nice review , i would like to see a review with sli and crossfire both running at full speed 16x-16x with non oc cpu from both Intel and AMD. with gfx cards at same price point ie the original retail $$ , seen that nvidia has the gtx and ultra run them. i was pretty shocked that crossfire did so well with one card at 4x let see how the Sli setups do
                          Last edited by mike547 [TeamATi]; 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X