An Inconvenient Truth about your PC gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Inconvenient Truth about your PC gaming

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "An Inconvenient Truth about your PC gaming"

Re: An Inconvenient Truth about your PC gaming

First Post...

Okay, so, thats a pretty green, environmentally friendly article. Lesson Here: The more graphically intensive a game or app is, the more power is sucked up. Interesting nonetheless.

Comment

LOL >>> That has to be the funniest most environmentally serious gaming article i have read within the past five years ... Why you ask within the past five years, thats because i started reading articles five years ago LOL

How about making a new article about how the MONITOR size and Contrast Ratio lead to the more voltage usage, or if the monitor has a higher resolution how much it uses electricity, or if you run a game, does it affect how much voltage is used compared to using Microsoft Word for example ...

^^^ The above statement is a joke, if so taken into appreciation, i demand Money ... LOL !!! Just Kidding

Comment

Good article!

It's refreshing to see Tweaktown taking energy consumption seriously with that power thingy. In all honesty, I would like to see more power measurements in your reviews because I run three desktop PCs at home and have replaced five power supplies in three years of upgrading due to insufficient wattage.

Perhaps it's time that an upgrade resulted in a more powerful system with less power consumption!

Good on ya Mate.

Comment

The comments about the beefiness of a power supply aren't quite correct. They're measuring power pulled at the wall, but power supplies don't work at 100% efficiency, so only 80% or less of that is actually being supplied to the components. They don't list the power supply used, but assuming 75% efficiency, even the maximum draw of 416 Watts is only 312W actually output by the PSU (332 at 80%). Who knows if they had to increase voltage on the CPU to get to 3.6GHz, although DDR3 memory is lower voltage than DDR2, even if it's nastily factory-overvolted as Corsair probably is. And of course the 2900XT is a power-hog. But they could get by with a 400W PSU even at maximum draw in this case, and being closer to fully-loaded means closer to maximum efficiency. Dual video cards, more memory, higher overclocks of course would mean higher power usage, but that still doesn't indicate people need 1kW PSUs just because they're overclocking (aside from any requirements of power on any particular voltage rail). A higher-rated PSU would actually be worse, since it would be lower efficiency when running so far below its maximum.

The basic premise of the article is still valid of course, since it's about how much power is being pulled from the grid.

Comment

Man-made CO2 is not the cause of global warming... check out the video at google videos: "The Great Global Warming Scandal."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arming+swindle

I have spoken to an environmentalist about this video and he said: "I know they're wrong."

"But they are describing their experiments ... "

"They're wrong."

Wow... what a perfect scientific rebuttal to experiments.

Watch the video and finally see a scientific reason why man made CO2 is not causing global warming.
            - sweet

Comment

Global warming is not real, the climate cycles up and down naturally. It is just convenient for politicians and environMENTALists to use the term to put fear into people's head.

That being said, my PSU is one of the most efficient PSU's made and I love it. Strong as an ox too.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate
              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
                Global warming is not real, the climate cycles up and down naturally. It is just convenient for politicians and environMENTALists to use the term to put fear into people's head.
                ... and media, I think it is just natural climate cycles, too. People need something to talk about.
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

it'd be interesting to see how folding affects power usage as well
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

To the climate nay-sayers ...

Over ten years ago I worked for one of my best mates who was doing climate variation research in Tasmania affiliated with the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme. We were part of the polar research community mor broadly as well. This research was being done back before the topic was was widely publicised or politicised.

Based on my exposure to the science back then, and since then, and the lack of credible research to the alternative, I'm quite comfortable saying that anyone who doesn't take anthropgenic climate change seriously is being willfully blind.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax9000 View Post
                      To the climate nay-sayers ...

Over ten years ago I worked for one of my best mates who was doing climate variation research in Tasmania affiliated with the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme. We were part of the polar research community mor broadly as well. This research was being done back before the topic was was widely publicised or politicised.

Based on my exposure to the science back then, and since then, and the lack of credible research to the alternative, I'm quite comfortable saying that anyone who doesn't take anthropgenic climate change seriously is being willfully blind.

Adrian
                      Go hug a tree. It's BS and anyone that uses common sense knows it.......
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate
                      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                      X