ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT - AMD's long awaited R600 DX10 GPU finally arrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT - AMD's long awaited R600 DX10 GPU finally arrives

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT - AMD's long awaited R600 DX10 GPU finally arrives"

Re: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT - AMD's long awaited R600 DX10 GPU finally arrives

We are back!
    Last edited by Mr.Tweak; 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

From the (4) other reviews I've read about the 2900XT, this review seems to go easy on ATI's long awaited release. The 8800GTS is cheaper, ~ faster(?), draws dramatically less power, is quieter and cooler. And the GTS and GTX can be found on sale much cheaper than quoted. what's the real story? hmmmm

Comment

Have you guys tried overclocking this thing yet? They kept the memory at a very conservative speed and I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to know how much it can be pushed. It should fly at higher resolutions when they come out with the 1gb gddr4 version and more aggressive factory settings.

Comment

We did not have time for that due to a rushed launch but we will be looking into OC along with Crossfire soon!
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

"AMD's HD 2900 XT offers a playable gaming experience up to 1920 x 1200 whereas the older Radeon X1950XTX is only good for up to 1280 x 1200 at these extreme quality settings."

I love how he says XTX is only good up to 1280, but he completely leaves out 1600x1200 and/or 1680x1050. That's obviously a flaw in the review.

Comment

We test at resolutions for standard LCD sizes - we would love to test every res but that is just not possible due to time issues.
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

What you ATI defenders are not taking into account, when you state that the higher priced gtx only out preforms slightly, is that the gtx has already been out for a year. Straight up, ATI had another year to work on their dx10 card, and it still sucks. Think of how much faster nVidia's card would have been if they had waited until now to release it. It would have KILLED the 2900. So sorry ATI, I am going with nVidia since you can't seem to even be at the same performance level with a years extra time of r&d.

Comment

Anything could happen over the following months...
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

LOL! The Nvidia army has spoken. I wish they would all remember just how badly the 8800's performed when they were released and how terrible the drivers were. Good thing Tweaktown does the reviewing, not them.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

In response to alternativesurf, and Nvidia fans that did not do there homework and got excited over the words DX10.

(Long review but can help in deciding over Nvidia and Ati)

This Ati card x2900hd is what I like to say is equivalent to the 8800gts 320mb not in power just in how the model lineup is 320 640 768...
                      The future is coming with its bad boys... Nvidia's 8800gtx bandwidth is 86 GB. Ati is set to release a 155+ gb of bandwidth video card (june 15th is where the date seems to be the launch of the 2 video cards im going to crossfire J. Including Gddr4 not gddr3 and a 512bit ring bus not a 384 bit bus and 1gb of ram not 768 and 65nm not 80nm (only on x2950xtx will they do this) core clock of 740 on the lowest model... (can't wait to see the first 800 maybe even 850mhz core!!) core clock of 8800 gtx is 575 and 320 Stream Processors vs. 128. With those 6 key features in mind it's always better to take your time and release the best instead of trying to be the first. If you owned a 8800 gts or gtx when they first came out you might as well of tossed all your money down the toilet. Worst drivers in history ><
                      As for heat issue the cards do run hotter but can handle it and more due its new pcb design so yes its hotter but it can handle it and more, 100c is what is said it can handle!
                      Power wise it draws more in but the better the video card the more it takes, if Nvidia released a card with Ati's specs im sure it would over heat and take more power. And these guys cleary show the ATI sometimes outperforming and sometimes a little behind vs. a video card that’s 3 models ahead! Once the 2950xtx comes out I can't wait to see the charts and just how far behind the Nvidia card really is. In the future Nvidia is coming with the 8900, but those are going to be released after the new ATI cards and are said to have the same specs as mentioned above! Nothing really changed just more garbage packed in.
                      I guess the plan was release first call yourself the best and when your competitor makes your cards look like childs play say you are the first!

I hope you enjoyed my mini article

Comment

Working...
                      X