No announcement yet.

Intel vs. AMD - The Road Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'day Unregistered (my, my you do post alot! <grin>)

I agree with your post ALMOST completely...but I have just one nit to pick...

"supports SSE2 (thus removing what is a major advantage for P4 in programs that support it)"

SSE2 will help the P4 much more than it will the Hammer or Athlon series. It was designed to make up for P4's rather weak FPU, so we should see a much larger gain in the P4 improvements than in the AMD improvements. That said, please note that WITHOUT SSE2, the P4 would struggle to even keep up with Athlon...even with it, I suspect Clawhammer will be leaps and bounds ahead of the (expected) 3.0 GHz Northwood due out early next year, even at 533 MHz...

JMHO

Cheers,
    Charles

Comment

Sometime around Sept according to the Inq...

http://www.theinquirer.net/06050211.htm

Well at least we KNOW that AMD won't use it till next year!

I think Acid needs a rest. : peace:

Comment

Hey viditor I think you misunderstood unregistered's point ( I think there is more than one)

It should have been written like ...

"supports SSE2 thus removing a major (maybe some apps) theoretical disadvantage for the Athlon."

Since p4's always have had SSE2 they will not have any further gains from the Intro of AMD's version of affairs. The gains will only be AMD's.

higher fsb to be intro'd in MP's

from the inq: http://www.theinquirer.net/25050201.htm

I think this has something to do with their desire to attain profitability. Word is, people are willing to pay more money for more performance.

To anyone who thinks that Hammer will be available in large amounts, where is the SI28 gonna come from. I've heard of Isonics finding another manufacturer but no details. I think it will only be on certain layer/s so that would reduce the demand if true.

Maybe time to update the article.

Comment

hey acid you should also add that the Duron will not likely ever make it to .13. Production will end soon as Austin is to convert to all flash manufacturing.

I think that Barton will be out around August since AMD has said that they will make it without SOI and the soft market has allowed them to spread their mix more effectively. Those would bring them in $220+ for a whole quarter.

Comment

Working...
          X