Intel vs. AMD - The Road Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
    We've also been testing a P4 533MHz FSB processor, I can't say anymore though due to an NDA agreement. I may be wrong about the release date, time will tell.
    NDA's aside all reports/indicators point to a Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood B) 2.26 & 2.4Ghz out this Quarter - Quarter 2 (actually May 6th I believe?). Along with the Intel i845E chipset (Brookdale-E), Intel i845G chipset (Brookdale-G), Intel i845GL chipset (Brookdale-GL), Intel i850E chipset (Tehama-E) & Intel ICH4 south bridge.

i845E - 200/266/(no 333)DDR memory, 533FSB
    i845G - as above but Intergrated GFX ~ GF4MX level using TileBase (ala. KyroII) Tech.
    i845GL - a above minus the 533mhz FSB - 400mhz for Celly P4's coming out.
    Intel i850E - RAMBUS platform - PC1066 or RIMM4200 with AGP 8x etc . . .

so yeh, there is going to be a little bit of a bump ahead for Intel until AMD gets their parts out, but at the high cost the parts will most likely be introduced at I'd be holding out for AMD's solutions before I made a buying decision (or at least late May when Intel is due to drop prices again).

Comment

Pretty much spot on there from what I've seen and heard.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

"NDA's aside all reports/indicators point to a Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood B) 2.26 & 2.4Ghz out this Quarter - Quarter 2 (actually May 6th I believe?). "

I don't disbelieve you guys, it's just that I've been scouring the news and the web for just that and I still can't find anything sooner than August (except for some old roadmaps from late last year...). If you have any link I would appreciate it. If not, but you're rock solid on the time frame PLEASE post that too!
        I make my income through my investments (mostly tech) in the US, and this might affect things in the short-term for me...
        Many Thanks!

Cheers,
        Charles

Comment

I'm restricted to what I can say, expect something soon though.
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Thanks Cam...NDAs can sure be painful! :-)
            As an additional note, it's looking like Microsoft is indeed backing the Hammer... Word is the announcement hits tommorrow night (Sydney time) along with JS3's retirement as CEO of AMD.
            http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020423/230097_1.html
            http://www.theinquirer.net/a_23040205.htm

This is probably a bigger boost to AMD than any memory or FSB change could ever be! They will be the ONLY chip made to run both 32 and 64 bit software natively (until/unless Intel develops Yamhill)...just bought more shares 10 minutes ago! :-)

Cheers,
            Charles

Comment

For those that say the article is 'lacking' because it does not address hammer are also missing the point that the article does not address future intel chips.

The article is taking an analytical look at the here/now and the next 6-9 months.

Though we cannot say what hammer will bring, we equally cannot claim on what Intel's Prescott (.09 micron P4) will bring. This is due out sometime early next year, and rumors are abound on this chip...

Rumors now...
              - 1 meg L2
              - 800MHz FSB
              - And more die changes in terms of functions...

A lot of you seem to assume that while AMD comes out with Hammer Intel is going to go along with their current Northwood line like nothing's changed...thats far from...

Comment

Asher,

“The Pentium 4 will be able to benefit from faster memory while AMD's Athlon range will still be bottlenecked by its slow front side bus.”

You are aware that when the Athlon XP-64 comes out, that memory bottle neck is gone due to the memory controller on die?? The platform actually won’t have a FSB…

Also, the T-Bred should have 512k cache and I’m hoping the data pathways are larger as well…

The Athlon XP-64 will usher in a new age of computers for the simple fact that mobo manufacturers won’t have the subsystem as a bottleneck anymore…

The P4 will be using a FSB while the Hammer communicates directly with memory at CORE speed…

The Athlon will be out in your 6-9 month vision, so the basic aspects of the Hammer core should be included… I’m interested in knowing where the Hammer FSB information is at because the Hammer will communicate with the subsystem via HT and with memory via its integrated memory controller, so where is the FSB at?? This is where Intel will miss the beat!!

Richard

Comment

Unrelated?

Riiiiigggghhhht..

You are beautiful, but I think your good looks might have caused you to become a bit too arrogant.

Since your article is so speculative, you should not state predictions so matter-of-factly.

That review is relevant, too. Have you read it? I have.

Comment

Some arguments about the article:

-the author did mention that the Barton will have 512k l2 cache and missed completely on the fact the new AMD roadmap says that the Barton will have 333Mhz FSB, and that the Hammer is speculated to have 800 MHz or so.

-now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't RDRAM running to take full use of the P4 FSB and so there weren't any memory bottlenecks and if the you compared an Athlon to a P4 using RDRAM at the same clock the Athlon would win hands down.

-now since the P4 has such a deep pipeline and it has to do more to process anything, I think that any increase in the FSB will be a bit useless since you are getting the data in there fast but the deep pipelines are stalling everything up.

-my comment: did Intel have anything to do with the article? Because I have doubt that your article wasn't paid. ;)

Comment

I am finding it more than a little perplexing that Asher/Mr Tweak could have put such a shallow article on the site...it really does detract from the site's credibility.....I am also more than a little perplexed that they can discuss "impending" Intel technology but discount and ignore the AMD equivalent.....I am not the paranoid type but ????? Intel are running scarred of Hammer .... Overclockers.com seems to think so...and they put a bit more depth and background in their articles .... http://www.overclockers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                        Pretty much spot on there from what I've seen and heard.
                        *nudge* . . you can tell us. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          Some arguments about the article:

-the author did mention that the Barton will have 512k l2 cache and missed completely on the fact the new AMD roadmap says that the Barton will have 333Mhz FSB, and that the Hammer is speculated to have 800 MHz or so.
                          Ummm both those points are not confirmed, and at this point in time alot of rumours/speculation is pointing to the Barton being a 266mhz FSB part and dropping SOI as it originally was ment to have.

[B]
                          -now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't RDRAM running to take full use of the P4 FSB and so there weren't any memory bottlenecks and if the you compared an Athlon to a P4 using RDRAM at the same clock the Athlon would win hands down.
                          Actually a RDRAM platform coupled with a P4 is pretty much to best platform (for desktop) you can get to date. Obviously the constraint has always been the high cost due to RDRAM. If you look at reviews such as Toms P4 2.4Ghz vs AXP 2100+ you'll see he uses a RAMBUS platform as this shows the P4 in the best light (See: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q...4_2400-06.html)

[B]
                          -now since the P4 has such a deep pipeline and it has to do more to process anything, I think that any increase in the FSB will be a bit useless since you are getting the data in there fast but the deep pipelines are stalling everything up.
                          Arrrrh, if you refer to the review above I posted you'll actually see Tom tests systems running at 533mhz FSB and that it does have a noticable performance increase over the 400mhz FSB systems (~10% increase from what I can tell). One thing to point out is the DDR systems for these new chipsets are still going to constraint the performance in my view. They are only able to supply a Max Mem bandwidth of 2.1 GB/S as rather than the 4.2 GB/s the RAMBUS chipset can supply (See: http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=45000318). Ultimately I feel Asher has the inside scoop on things and this is reason as to why he raised the Dual Channel DDR issue (which Intel should be releasing a part for by the end of the year from all reports)

[B]
                          -my comment: did Intel have anything to do with the article? Because I have doubt that your article wasn't paid. ;)
                          I doubt it very much, more likely Asher has some more data on the parts coming out soon than we do, Tom's review that I've referred to confirms much of what Asher said. While I don't have the same sediments as the Article (feeling it too short sighted for my liking) it is just one persons view based on the current situation - keep this in mind.

Comment

Ever see TV channels beat up a story before the actual show is aired. I think this is a beat up by TT for an article on the Intel proc. The trouble is, because of the "lite" biased nature of the original article, either by design or incompetence, how could you rely on another one? Anyway, playing the political game, the original article, flawed as it is, will stay, and no matter what is said here, Mr Tweak will ignore it. The damage or plug has been made, second doesn't count.

This site has just lost me as a client, I couldn't trust another article to be unbiased or without favour.

Comment

Firstly I won't be ignoring it as you say, I've been keeping an active eye on this thread.

The article was based purely on facts, if you have a hard time dealing with that due to your possible alliances with AMD or maybe you are just an AMD fan that's really something you are going to have to deal with.

The fact remains, this article was based on facts. Not mentioning that much about the Hammer does not mean this article is biased, it just means there is little information about it to report on.
                              Managing Director
                              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                This site has just lost me as a client, I couldn't trust another article to be unbiased or without favour.
                                Just lost you as a client? Couldn't have been much of one to begin with.... You haven't registered, and if you'd been a regular you would have appreciated the other articles from here and not be turned off by one you disagree with...

Comment

Working...
                                X