Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computex 2004 coverage...

Nice pics.

I gotta ask: WTF is up with the XGI PCIe Volari card? I'm talking about the card is raised with some other card that has a fan on it? What is that thing?

From your description, you're talking about the cards that can run together and each process half of the screen. It's a patent-pending Alieware thing, so you probably can't build your own system with the technology at any point in time. It would cost a hell of a lot of money, but would be insanely good.

The pictures are nice, but some words would be better. Pictures aren't really worth a thousand words in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
      Nice pics.

I gotta ask: WTF is up with the XGI PCIe Volari card? I'm talking about the card is raised with some other card that has a fan on it? What is that thing?
      I believe that is a PCI-E to AGP interface convertor that isn't yet intergrated into the video card. Many PCI-E video cards have an interface convertor built into them, though some don't yet.

So in simpler terms, I guess, no video cards are true PCI-E.

Comment

That's what I thought.

Comment

Not yet... There's no need for them. I read a Tom's Hardware Guide article linked from the socket-939 article (which you can find in the Processors thread) that showed there was virtually no performance increase from 4x AGP to 8x AGP. In other words, PCI-X won't be neccessary, or possibly even useful for several years

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
            Not yet... There's no need for them. I read a Tom's Hardware Guide article linked from the socket-939 article (which you can find in the Processors thread) that showed there was virtually no performance increase from 4x AGP to 8x AGP. In other words, PCI-X won't be neccessary, or possibly even useful for several years
            Yep, that's another big thing that a lot of people were fooled on. 4X and 8X AGP. Although, even if its not really needed yet, I'd would like to see some true PCI-E :p video cards just to see how much they really can perform.

Comment

Working...
            X