No announcement yet.

Are these ads part of Tweaktown now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah mine's XP Pro SP1 w/ I.E. 6 SP1 and they're seen but maybe Darth has some different security settings that lock them out. :?:

Comment

I've got WinXP (SP1) + all updates, IE6 with Medium Security and Medium High Privacy settings and they show up in the articles/guides on TT as well as on sites like Techspot too.

What's your settings Darth? Help me beat this thing!
      My Machine

Comment

I use custom settings, but I don't think that they are anything special. Here is a complete listing:

ActiveX
        Prompt
        Disable
        Disable
        Enable
        Enable
        Downloads
        Enable
        Enable
        Microsoft VM
        High Safety
        Misc
        Disable
        Enable
        Prompt
        Disable
        Enable
        Prompt
        Prompt
        Enable
        Medium Safety
        Enable
        Enable
        Scripting
        Enable
        Enable
        Enable
        Authentication
        Auto logon only on Intranet zone

I also use both NIS firewall and a router/switch with a firewall in there as well. Don't know if this will be why I don't get the blurbs, but I just double checked and didn't see them.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
          I've got WinXP (SP1) + all updates, IE6 with Medium Security and Medium High Privacy settings and they show up in the articles/guides on TT as well as on sites like Techspot too.

What's your settings Darth? Help me beat this thing!
          you could just do what I've been doing ;) ...useing a new browser might suprise you

:cheers:

Comment

Darth I just compared all my settings and they are identical to yours. I think your firewall is blocking the ads. I don't use a firewall (yes, I know, I'm risking my very life... :p ). I've never had a problem with any other form of advertising, trojan, virus etc. due to regular patching/scanning, but these ads are just too annoying.

I'll look into another browser and play around with IE and security some more. :hammer:
            My Machine

Comment

In the end I installed Popupcop and disabled scripts and it gets rid of that mess.

On a side note when scripts are disabled the Tweaktown front page (as well as 3DGPU) load up much, much faster. Not to mention the fact that before I'd have to click the refresh button several times to get Tweaktown to come up at all - now it pops up in a second the first time.

Advertisers should really look at cleaning up the scripts and also the keywords used in this particular form of advertising as it is currently unsatisfactory for this particular user.
              My Machine

Comment

Glad I found this thread! :D I thought the same thing....that I'd picked up some spyware. It doesn't bother me now that I know....easy enough to ignore. :devil:

Comment

I finally saw those ads today. I had some spare time during class and the only borwser available was IE, with no ad/pop-up blocking what-so-ever. I just got to say that it was bloody annoying. Maybe I've just been spoiled by firebird, but I would be much more choosy about with articles I read if I had to deal with those ads all the time. I've obviously got no problems with TT using ads, but I just think these are too frustrating for anyone that hasn't taken precautions. :2cents:

Comment

For the love of god, please get rid of them... TT is a great site, but i cannot STAND being FORCED to read advertisements. These are some of the most annoying you can get, since here at least, you cant turn them off.

Sorry TT, i loved thee, but, alas...

Comment

We will continue to run these ads on TweakTown - they will always be locked to one display per day, per person.

How many TV ads do you all see per day on average? Probably at least one hundred. Free-to-air TV programs have the same concept as free to access websites such as TweakTown. Since we do not charge a fee to access the website, we must make money to survive through advertising.

These ads will become common place within months. It might be time to begin to accept them.
                      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

By the way, I was talking about the stream ads. But the same applies for text ads.
                        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                        Managing Director
                        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Thank goodness for Mozilla

Comment

In no way are TV ads the same thing. You can mute them, change the channel, etc. You have the right (and ability) to avoid them if you wish.

These ads, the bloody annoying text window ads, have none of that. I cant make them go away (yet), i cant escape them (yet).
                            No offence, but i hope some software is made VERY soon that blocks all those ads.. just like pop-ups...

Comment

Originally posted by Divine_Madcat
                              No offence, but i hope some software is made VERY soon that blocks all those ads.. just like pop-ups...
                              try the firebird browser, i never see them unless I have to use IE for some reason

Comment

Working...
                              X