Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall the site organization is awesome. You could divide the hardware forums into subcategories, i.e. under motherboards you could have separate forums for different mobos (asus, asrock, ecs, etc). That way it would be easier to follow threads specific to the hardware.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

How about a section where graphic artists can share their experiences and advice? :wave:

Comment

there are dozens of forums like Tweaktown (and some are almost as good!). But none has improved on the common ability to provide information, or to view problems, on specific functions, with a variable degree of focus. :?:

Each successive visit involves a troll through the intervening days' entries of a broad category - pages and pages and pages. Or else using the Search facility repeatedly with different words each time. :zzz:

How about coding each post according to, say, a dozen categories ,which would be different for each forum. Then one could obtain a page of posts relevant to "Win98/EPoX/AMD/shutdown/lockup", for example in the Windows forum, or "Cooling/HSF/Athlon/mounting" in the Cooling forum. The poster should include all categories, whilst the searcher could omit some to broaden the search. :wow:

Don't get me wrong, I love perusing the posts - but I don't have the time to scan (and poke into!) them all, and like Homer (Simpson,that is!) each time I note something new, I forget something I was remembering.........: omg:

Even so,Tweaktown Home plus Forums is a Blue Chip Site.:thumb:

Comment

I have not read what other people have said as of yet, so if I have said something that one of you guys already have, I'm really sorry! :wow:

1. This is probably my main criticism against TT atm and it really stops me coming to TT regularly. It is the fact that the home page takes me a very long time to download and even though there are a lot of people with cable and ADSL out there, there are still a lot of 56kers (in my case 28k) out there who have to experience the same thing. I suggest you perhaps you cut the news section regularly so we are not loading something most people have already read. As we speak, there is news from the 24th of June still. I think it would be ok to limit it to a week wouldn't it? If you still want to keep some of these articles, you could put it in a separate folder (or section) so people can view what they may or may not have missed.

2. When testing a piece of hardware, you should always try to use the same software and maybe even the same computer and keep this 'test computer' for about 6 months until you can upgrade it again. This way we can get more accurate results if we want to compare say a Radeon 9800 Pro to an FX5900 Ultra. When talking about software, you should also try to use the same benchmarks and the same settings within the benchmarks and, again, use these benchmarks for period of six months. After this period, you can then obtain better benchmarks and hardware. This is mainly for those who want to compare products, but only products that are reviewed at your site with the same benchmarks and computers.

3. With the news itself, I think this is possibly one section that is greatly overlooked by TT. I believe yes, there should be 'main' articles at the front of the page that you feel that are most relevant to most people at TT. However, there are lots of little minor articles out there that I feel you may be neglecting and this is what a separate 'News' Section could be for. All you would really need to do is get all these little articles, have a little bit cut out and pasted which would describe what the article is about, and then the link to the article itself. Also, you could have something within this section called 'Coming Events' (or it could be separate) which would outline the major (maybe minor) events that will be happening with TT or just the PC industy in general such as Computex. Oh, and we shouldn't neglect the news about TT! Or is that sort of info always going to be on the front page anyway... :P

4. With the articles, guides and reviews section, these are increasingly becoming bigger, and because of this, this database should be organised more efficiently for better access overall by us. It is especially a pain in the large reviews section where you have to scroll all the way down a page to get to a review a want, a bit old fashioned IMO. I am not sure how you should organised this, but I think for now, you should just have separate links to 'Motherboards' and 'Video Cards' etc. You just click video cards and then you are linked to a page which lists the video cards that have been reviewed from A to Z. That bit is up to you guys of course!

5. I am not sure if you are just picking excellent products to review or you just don't want to find bad things about a product. When I look through the review section, there are very few products (if any at all) that actually get very low marks. Nothing is perfect and the reviews section doesn't seem to really outline this. I think you really need a system of points so that we can actually get an idea of how well products scored in your opinion. Personally, the difference between 9.5 and 9 seems minimal, unless you think that everything so far has been pretty good. If that is so, then you can count this bit out. There needs to be an overhaul here somewhere and I think getting a whole new reviewing system is the best way. These days, with tight competition, you can not just simply just give a special number to a product that you have reviewed. You must review it based on different groups such as performance, ease of use, installation etc, and then obtain an average out of all the other variables.

6. I also think there should be a projects section or something that you guys are currently working on or included in this section could be details on what you guys think as the 'Ultimate Computer'. This hypothetical computer would have no limit in funds but it would be based on what an ultimate gamer would buy. Not some thing that has Dual P4s and a graphics designer card. In this project section, you could also include what reviews you are currently working and perhaps even when they are due to be posted up. Also, you could describe some places you have recently been like Expos and Computex if you go to these, but then again, this could have its own section!

7. How about an 'About Us!' Section? I mean, yes there is a 'Contact Us' section but people wouldn't really think about going here to see TTs history as this is usually the section for when you want help or would like to congratulate someone. Also, perhaps more pics of you guys just being yourselves at a regular TT party or soemthing. We are all human! This separate section would just be ideal for any true TT fan. :P Mission Statement: Has TT got one that sums up what TT is trying to achieve and its goals etc? This should be for everyone to see and would be a perfect fit for this proposed 'About Us' section.

8. A minor part you could have on the home page is the 'most popular' section. This could have the most popular forum threads or the most popular reviews/articles/guides, or a combination of them all. I say this because if these are the most popular, then why not make it easier for others who would like to access the same page? It would be much easier than to keep clicking page through page to get to where they want to get to. I should also mention that this little bit should be on the front page probably just below 'quick links'?

9. Members Secion. I think the forum really covers all the members of TT, however there may be really special members out there who deserve credit for something and it would really promote TTs interaction with the public. You could have pictures of people who would win competitions, or people with a really well modded up PC or similar. Again, this is up to anyones imagination but the members section I believe would have a lot of potential. If you had enough space, you could do what OCAU have done and have a computer entry database full of members PCs and thier specs with a pic. Really, this is a section that my mind is limited to!

10. This is more of a question on my part, but does TT have an IRC channel somewhere? I mean, I haven't seen any on Austnet but an IRC channel would be great for those who need help ASAP. It doesn't really have to be for those that want help either, but want to discuss related topics and/or discuss common likes, dislikes etc. If not IRC, some sort of online and in-site chat channel that people can use to talk to eachother live.

Otherwise, so far, the TT site is very easy to navigate the the reviews are usually pretty good as well and up to my standards at least. I mean, there may be a lot I would like to see with TT and I have typed as much as I can think of for the moment, but it would make for my ultimate PC Tweaking Site, so much in fact, that I won't have to keep checking other sites for their reviews and more news. I am also a reader of PCPP (and have been one for ages) and the Tech Section is finally looking as good as it should...gg TT! Anyway, this is what I can think of for now (2am, almost 3am), but I'm sure the creative juices will start flowing again some time at a later date (or more suitable time). The main thing I was trying to single out was your sites 'ease of use'. It still does have some issues, but once these are fixed, the Tweak Town should be really 1337!

Stay consistent and keep steady growth!
          gg Tweak Town!

:flames:

Comment

Well i see no problem with the speed of tweaktown, like i do on many other forums. I do think that it would be nice to have a live chat for all of the users that are on at a certain time, and maybe forums to compare the newest stuff that comes out with the older stuff, ex is Kt400 vs Kt400a, and XP 3500 vs XP 3800. Just a thought. So every time a new item came out an admin would post a topic where people can post there personal comparisons about the items.

Comment

ok, only thing i can think of is to compress your banners and logos to make it load faster, cause their not compressed (or at least very well) right now. Thats all folks!

Comment

TweakTown is a great site and i have been reading the news and reviews for a long time now, but i am now venturing into the forums (as if i am not a member of enough forums :rolleyes: ).

Here is some of the ideas i have come up with after long hard think.

1. A post count display so people can see how many posts have been made by anyone in each of their posts. This means people can see who the regulars are and the regulars are usualy the most knowable people :)

2. More PC hardwre reviews and comparisons. I alway like to see big comparisons including most of competition so that you can see all the hardware at once tested under the same conditions. Although i do know that this is not often possible because of time constraints and availablity.

3. An online chat channel hosted at TT would be great, I have seen it at some other forums and it works good when there are a lot a of members (like here).

4. You could organise the site into different sections, like Motherboards, CPU's, Video Card's and Monitors, Giudes, and then on the front page the main big news could be posted. This could make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.

Hope some of my ideas are helpful and that i haven't repeated what has already been said (I'm too lazy to read 3 pages of posts :))

Comment

Have occasional indepth analysis, but have more frequent less-deep contents. One way to generate more traffic is to have more news/updates.

Maybe rotating weeks of product types (ex. case fans, heat sink, video, audio, case) and have different news each day about that particular product type.

Comment

I would say that Tweak Town is an excellent site as it is. The only thing that could really improve it is a downloads section. While reading guides I have come across links to download programs like SiSoftware's Sandra etc, and each time I think to myself, wow this is a cool program I wonder what other programs Tweak Town recommends. Then I look for a downloads section and I don't see it. Anyway I think that an organized downloads section would be and excellent addition to Tweak Town.

Comment

What can I say that hasn't already been said? TweakTown is a great site, one of the best. But if I"ve got to say something then here goes:
                      -an actaully case mods gallery instead of one very long thread
                      -more in-depth hardware reviews
                      -more guides on a wider varitey of hardware and software
                      -a few more styles and smilies to pick from

It's kinda hard to come up with anyting for a site as good as this one is

:cheers:

Comment

how about a shortened 1 page overview so that you can get the idea without wading through several pages if it is an article that does not at this time interest you. Apart from that it is great - keep up the good work. As a Londoner it is a pleasure to get real information that does not come directly from America.

Comment

MY suggestion:
                          make an easy way to get from the forums back to tweaktown(the articles) am I missing it? If you hit home it brings you to the forum home. I didn't even realise there were articles for the first 6 months I visited the site.
                          another would be to increase the peer reviews of new hardware/software I know this is up to the members but having just bought a digital camera I would have liked to known if any other members had bought the same camera before I did.
                          well there is the winning suggestion, I would give a vote to WORD BIKER, GRIM REAPER, and FEDELE for 2nd place as i agree with there suggestions.
                          no leaf

Comment

Tweaktown Rockz!
                            :cheers:

Radical Tweaktown news is the slam & do NOT do anything to rack it up! If there were something needing change TT would surely have done it already. You're the final approach to 411...
                            Universal Love....
                            :group:

Comment

Well I'm picky about the websites I visit regularily, and like many others this seems like an easy choice to return to every day. Anyways, a website is never complete so heres my nitpicking...

1) More frequent news posts - Once in a while we go days without a news post, and I think it's because of the good pick of news bits that are posted that I feel neglected when theres no news:tears: So, great news posting, and I'd feel more motivated to return even more often (scary) to see whats new.

2) Integrating the site more - People are right, the left column of links could use a bit of a reworking just to make it stand out more and be viewed more clearly. And if possible, add or change the forums to be integrated with the main pages more as the more the better.

3) System rig page - Also as other people have said, somewhere you could have your own personal page (even if everyone has the same template) where you can upload your systems specs, benchmarks, and pictures of the beauts.

Other than that, can't think of anything without brain malfunctions so... good work

Comment

Here's one that might have been said. Clean up the long running 'Sticky' threads that have un-related posts.

For example, the 'Good Online Retailers' threads have a good amount of un-related posts that can be deleted, as well as multiple posts from the same user. Combining the posts (when feasable) will help condense those threads and make them much easier to use.

--------

And as someone else said archiving common questions is a very good idea. To expand on that, Maybe make a Forum Sub-division just for the best examples of threads asking common questions. Move very old threads that provide good advice into the new forum, and then we can suggest people look there first, but when a common question IS asked, we can easily just link to it without having to DIG through pages and pages of threads to find the one we're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                                X