ASUS P8Z68 V Pro Gen3
    Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
    G.Skill F3-17000CL9-8GBXM
    PNY GTX460
    WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
    Cooler Master HAF 922
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    46" Samsung LCD HDTV
    Win8 x64 ..............................I can't seem top be able to make anew paragraph in these forums... I know I could have gotten the Z77 chipset, but didn't see a big difference.. and the ASUS MB price was right.. $140.00. Total was about $800 for everything. MY old computer went to my wife. It seems to work very well with al the PC Combat flight sims. One thing I am not used to is setting up XMP bios settings for memory. It beeps once upon boot. Which I always thought that meant something was wrong with the DDR memory sticks. And they possibly need reseated. Some people say one beep is ok, no problem. But again, beep upon start is not good is what I learned over the 30 years I have built computers. I tried all auto settings, runs the same. I wanted to pull the DDR3 memory and reseat, but the bottom tabs are next to something, and too hard to get my finger completely over. I will live with one short beep when I boot. Otherwise it runs very good. I hope it stays cool in summer. I only have stock cooling.

Re: Built new computer, so far, so good

Nice machine. Looks like you made a good selection of parts. Traditionally the one beep was a characteristic of the boot sequence of a PC as in the 'All Ok'. It was nothing out of the ordinary, though now I find the newer motherboards excluding this feature or it may be that the beep is turned off in the bios by default. Check you Bios and see if there is an option to turn off the 'beep' on boot. I can tell you with some degree of certainty that more than one beep can be a bad sign. It might help if you refer the motherboard manual and look at the section that describes the errors and the audible warnings associated with them. Also if there was an issue with the memory seating then the machine will not boot into Windows in the first place or you will see the blue screen of death in Windows if you have a loose module. If you are not sure of your memory settings it best to leave all settings at auto and turn off any memory overclocking options that may otherwise ask you to manually input memory parameters. I don't think you need to worry as long as you are not seeing any noticeable issues with the new system. Good Luck.

Comment

I think theres only one memory tab at the top on those boards,then the memory pulls out

I have the same board but the non gen 3,you can setup your memory manually its not hard
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You are supposed to hear one beep upon start up. I you do not, then the speaker is not plugged into the motherboard [some motherboards have a small, separate speaker used for BIOS diagnostics].
        MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz, Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler, TIM: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound [NOTE: I use Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Cleaner (1,2)], RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 24GB of 1866 CAS 9, SSD: Samsumg 850 Pro, Intel 335 series 240GB, HDs: WD Black 4TB, Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case: Cooler Master 922 [with a 3rd 200mm fan in door], Windows 7 Pro, XS 1500 Back-Up UPS by APC

Comment

Sorry about the second post.

On most motherboards you can enter BIOS just after the start up beep, if you can't get the timing right, start pushing the BIOS access key early.

Repeatedly push the key that allows access to BIOS [Delete or whatever]. Once in BIOS I turn off the splash screen so I can see what is going on during POST.

Also, over the past several years the initial [one] beep has become standard. 25 years ago you had to check with each chip maker to find out what their beep codes meant.
          MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz, Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler, TIM: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound [NOTE: I use Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Cleaner (1,2)], RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 24GB of 1866 CAS 9, SSD: Samsumg 850 Pro, Intel 335 series 240GB, HDs: WD Black 4TB, Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case: Cooler Master 922 [with a 3rd 200mm fan in door], Windows 7 Pro, XS 1500 Back-Up UPS by APC

Comment

Working...
          X