No announcement yet.

Gaming using Workstation Graphic Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming using Workstation Graphic Cards?

Workstation graphic cards (Nivida Quadro, ATi FirePro, ATi FireStream) are used for complex 3D modeling, CAD & intensive multimedia tasks. But can they be used for gaming as well?

Re: Gaming using Workstation Graphic Cards?

It depends on the drivers. The actual harware is no different from the cards sold to consumers as far as physical capabilities go. The card's BIOS may be different, thus allowing some features to be enabled and optimized on workstation cards and disabled on mainstream consumer cards.

CAD programs also use OpenGL/DirectX API's just like games, and there are many GPGPU and CUDA aplications available to end users too. It's all down to drivers and BIOS for what functionality you will get if gaming on a professional graphics solution.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Re: Gaming using Workstation Graphic Cards?

Ya, I have a quadros in my M4500, M4400 and a fx5800 in my Workstation at the office. I have run a GTX285 (the basis for the fx5800) and to tell you the truth I have not really noticed any difference in real world gaming performance.

IMO I buy WS cards because I have had luck with the drivers and have seen improved viewport fidelity/stability in certain apps. If they happen to work as well when gaming then that's just a bonus; it should not influence your decision at all.

Bang/$ is where the quadro gets you, not performance - If I were to spend as much on Geforce cards as my FX 5800 I could have quad 580's... Hell, I could build a complete killer sandybridge system for about half of what that card cost.
      affiliate marketing programs

Comment

Working...
      X