Left 4 Dead 2 Lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left 4 Dead 2 Lockup

Recently I have experienced game lockup and computer lockup while playing some games that I have been playing for quite some time.

Prior to this happening I noticed 2 unusual sounds coming from the computer. The first was a ticking sound, which was coming from the fan on my geForce 8600 GT video card. As soon as I touched the fan, the ticking stopped. As soon as I took my finger away, back it came.

Shortly after, I noticed that my FPS was much lower than usual, even on the Ancient Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead game. Around this time I heard a type of surging sound, like the computer was struggling.

I decided it was time for some upgrades anyway, so I replaced my 300W PSU with a 630W PSU with better amperage, and also ugraded the video card to a PNY Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT EE, with 1 gb of video memory.

Everything seemed fine and very quiet for about 45 minutes. All of a sudden, my computer locked up while playing WOW online, which almost never happens, and while playing my newest game, LFD2, on medium settings, the game and computer locked up.

I don't know if my resolution might be part of the problem, or my processor, I don't know what to look at next. My 24" Samsung monitor is capable of 1920 x 1200 resolution, but I lowered it down and I still locked up.

The following is some information that might be helpful. If more information is needed, please let me know:

AMD Athlon 64 bit Core 2 Processor
    4 gb ddr2 memory
    Seagate Barracuda 250 gb HD
    XION 630W PSU
    PNY Nvidia GeForce 9800GT EE - 1 gb gddr3
    Samsung BW2433 24" LCD 1920 x 1200 dpi

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Sunyb36

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Lockup

A couple of thoughts: Does your case have decent airflow --- can you add any fans to the case? Have you removed your video card drivers and reinstalled with the latest ones?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Lockup

^the driver thing. Use driver sweeper to remove any and all remnants of the old drivers.
      i7 920 D0
      Gigabyte UD4P Bios F9c

Comment

Working...
      X