Unreal Tournament 3 lag with 8800gt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tournament 3 lag with 8800gt?

Hey everyone, I have an 8800gt card and I've been trying to play Unreal Tournament 3, but for some reason I've been getting really poor performance when playing.

It seems that the frames per second performance drops a lot while playing with certain weapons (i.e. the main pistol, the torque melee weapon, and the flak gun), but then the performance is very smooth with others (i.e. the missile launcher, the zoomed-in sniper rifle, and the link gun).

I have the most up to date forceware from nvidia, and I've also tried the omega drivers, but the results are the same. Lowering the resolution from 1200x900 to 1020x768 and setting all features to lower settings also yields very little difference.

I have a feeling the problem has to do with me using Vista, but as I stated earlier, I have all the proper drivers, and I even patched the game itself to the newest version.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 lag with 8800gt?

Not real sure... heat generally doesn't create an issue like this but it may be a good idea to double check. I have an XP box and a X1900 and have no problems with lag. I use all weapons and haven't noticed any problems. May be a Vista issue after all.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Hey thanks Darthtanion.

..sometimes I wish I had opted for XP.. :(

Comment

Unless things have really changed, you can still legally install any version of WinXP under your Vista license. Might double check with Kheldar, though, since he is a LOT more up to speed with licensing issues than I am. Should work, though, since I believe we have some computers at work doing this and we recently passed a Microsoft audit with flying colors.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Strange problem, I'm running UT3 on full detail with an 8800GT, and I'm on Vista x64. No lag issues at all, runs perfectly smoothly all the time. What are you processor and memory like?

Comment

Now Call of Duty 4 lags too..

This really kinda sucks :(

Comment

Is it a clean Windows install? Sometimes I find if I don't reformat with a new videocard it can have a few hiccups. You'd think Vista would be fine with it though.

Is it happening in every game? tried a 3D Mark run? Maybe see if you can grab a Doom3/Quake4 etc engine game (OpenGL) and find out if it's just DirectX performance?

Could also be a chipset driver issue, although I'm not familiar with the 680i.

Or it could be a faulty card I guess, although that usually comes with poor stability/visual artifacts, not poor performance.

Comment

I upgraded from XP, so I did not do a clean (boot from disc) install - that might be the reason, but the thing is, the cards had been working fine for at least a month or so, and only recently have I been having problems.

Whatever the problem, I just used the Windows restore feature and rolled it back a month or so, and there doesn't seem to be any more issues, so I am happy :)

Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

I have a 8800gt and I haven't experienced any lag in either of those games but you are running vista, so that might be the problem. How much ram do you have? Also I'm running Win Xp Pro x64 edition, not that it matters atleast I don't think so.

Comment

The newest Nvidia drivers have enabled PhysX to be used on the actual Video card. Try disabling PhysX in the game and see if that solves your problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X