• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOOM III specs??

i dont really no where else to put this thread,

my specs

P4 3.0GHz cpu NO OC
    512mb ram
    and me FX5200 128mb WHICH HAS DONE REASONALBY WELL, it plays farcry wid all medium settings exept for the water is on high and there is no jumping wot so ever on that game, i was just wondering about DOOM III cos im getting a new card n e ways but i wana play DOOM III on high settings (smoothly) and my budget is £200, any 1 no wot i can get...........??

cheers, lou

Re: DOOM III specs??

The only thing I would suggest for longevity is another 512 stick of ram otherwise Doom III is going down as one of the most adaptable games on the market. It can be played by almost anyone who owns a decent computer.

Comment

I'm guessing a regular (non-GT, non-Ultra) 6800 is too expensive for you, so a 9800 Pro or 9800XT. Other than that, you're pretty much good. Another 512MB of RAM would help, but won't be necessary or as important as a new card. It's a very GPU-intensive game.

Comment

so i need anuva 512 and ill start lookin for the, 9800XT 256mb, XT is better than pro right? cheers for ya help

EDIT
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
        hey guys look at these cards, which 1 is for me http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...00_Series.html

which 1 shall i get, i mean like, wots def worth the money, cheers ur great help :P
        Last edited by louinike; 08-05-2004, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Well the 6800s don't seem to be out out of your range
          http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6800_Series.html
          The Galaxy Glacier 6800 looks good for your budget, but the Chaintech one would be excellent. It's worth the extra £20-40 you'll pay for a 6800 over a 9800XT, expecially for Doom 3.

But if you go with a 9800XT the PowerColor looks good for it's price and I do know someone who has gotten that exact card (from that site) that is very satisfied with it.

Comment

Yawgm0th!!!! cheers mate ur a great help (and the rest) lol

i can only really spend £200 at max, i wuld of got the 6800 but its only 128mb, but wuld it compared to the 9800XT 256mb
            wot i mean is wots better is porformance

Galaxy Glacier GeForce 6800 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP)
            VS!
            PowerColor ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP)

i on the 6800 is only £14 more dats y im fink......... WHICH 1
            Last edited by louinike; 08-06-2004, 10:41 AM.

Comment

It's hardly a comparison. The 6800 is much faster than the 9800XT, especially in Doom 3. Even with less memory, it'll be better in games.

Comment

Doom 3: Why is Radeon X800 Series behind GeForce6? Article at 3DCenter

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2004/07-30_english.php
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by louinike
                  Yawgm0th!!!! cheers mate ur a great help (and the rest) lol

i can only really spend £200 at max, i wuld of got the 6800 but its only 128mb, but wuld it compared to the 9800XT 256mb
                  wot i mean is wots better is porformance

Galaxy Glacier GeForce 6800 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP)
                  VS!
                  PowerColor ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP)

i on the 6800 is only £14 more dats y im fink......... WHICH 1
                  While more memory isn't a bad thing, the GeForce 6 series of cards is a whole 'nother class than the Radeon 9x00 np/Pro/XT lineup. That's what the Radeon X800 line is for. The Radeon 9800 is like a Corvette. It's still a nice and fast card, but compared to a Lamborgini, the Lambo beats the crap outta the corvette. With the Lambo being the 6800. The graphics chip is much, much more important than the amount of RAM on the card.

Comment

Working...
                  X