No announcement yet.

PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds pretty sweet ! And I don't even like consoles - PC devotee- that might change
    Don't count on it. Even HDTV's are still only 800 X 600, which means console will always be greatly limited. I don't know if you have every tried watching some PC games on a TV with a TV out feature, but you can't see ANYTHING at a distance. I mean, Q3 on "The Longest Yard" you can barely even see the rail platform, much less rail a guy standing on it.

TV's are great for TV, but until TV's start to support 1280 X 1024 or 1600 X 1200, consoles will always just be 'posers'. But by the same token, you gotta start somewhere, and a unit a 6 year old can't screw up will continue to be the console niche.

Comment

TV's are great for TV, but until TV's start to support 1280 X 1024 or 1600 X 1200, consoles will always just be 'posers'. But by the same token, you gotta start somewhere, and a unit a 6 year old can't screw up will continue to be the console niche.
      Amen brother!!

Once i hooked up to my tv for kicks and played warcraft 3. Forget about that......

Comment

I hate all this speculation crap. I remember when the gamecube was going to look like a dolphin. I doubt in the next generation Sony will be the dominant one. I think they will be too in to making it the best and the fastest and lose track of why PS2 is doing so well (the games). What Sony will be doing will be a ***** for game programmers. Anyway, my thoughts are that Xbox 2 will come out first because they hated coming out late with the Xbox, then Nintendo's next system, then Sony. I think that Xbox will have the upperhand and have a lot of good games and as always Nintendo will have its classics and do well as always and I think Playstation 3 will be crap. And I'm not a Sony hater, I have every single gaming system that has come out. I just don't like their approach.

Comment

Klapaucius: According to Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer, the Xbox2 won't be out until 2006. Sony's PS3 is scheduled for 2005, but many believe it may not see the light of day until 2006 either.

Comment

PS3 speculation
            As the PSX launches, news of the PS3 surfaces...

Speculation concerning the Playstation 3 was a constant theme across internet news sites yesterday, as Sony's chief technology officer confirmed that production of the PS3's much-discussed Cell microprocessor will begin in the latter half of 2005, which has encouraged many industry types to believe that a Spring 2006 launch seems most likely.

A brand new facility in Nagasaki Prefecture will apparently manufacture the new chips; a rumoured eight of which will be used in parallel for the PS3. This news came at the close of Sony's PSX introduction; as the technical officer commented on the scale of the new PS2 chips used, which allow the integration apparent in the PSX, and mentioned that the new 90 nanometre production process will be used on the Cell microprocessor, too.

Taipei Times

Comment

PS3 "concept image" hits the web
              Official Sony concept, or talented fake? We're inclined towards the latter

A picture purporting to be concept art of Sony's next-generation console, the PlayStation 3, has been circulated on the Internet, showing a sleek silver console with a slot-loading DVD drive.

So, is this an early glimpse of the future of console entertainment? We have our doubts, since although we've been unable to confirm where the image originated, it doesn't appear to have been officially released by Sony - unlike last month's PSP concept images, which appeared in a presentation given by SCE boss Ken Kutaragi.

Indeed, a highly placed source within Sony stated that he'd never seen the concept design shown in the image before - although he did concede that it "could be something Japan cooked up and hasn't shown us," he was adamant that he thought it highly unlikely that the image originated from Sony.

So what we're left with, perhaps unsurprisingly, is a very clever and well-implemented mock-up of the forthcoming console, which probably bears no resemblance to the final product. It does look nice though, doesn't it?

GI-biz

Comment

As much as I hate to destroy all you dreamers... ;)

The PS3 is gonna suck, the XBOX2 is gonna suck, and Nintendo is pretty muchg always gonna suck since the N64...which was my last console...

Truth is, right now, PCs destroy consoles. Even back when the AssBox came out PC games we're still owning console. RTCW anyone?

Is not that I dislike consoles, many of my friends have them, and I gre up with the SNES and Genesis. But right now it looks as if the AssBox has raped and destroyed one of my most anticipated games, Deus Ex: Invisible War. The game that could of been great was dumbed down and the textures were slashed to get it onto a console, and it looks like crap. If you played the demo you know what I mean. Go play Max Payne 2 at maximum settings, it looks 5 times better than any console game.

So what I am saying, is that, by 2005, even though consoles will have a new cool system, pcs will be way far ahead. By then We'll probably be in the 4.0-5.0 Ghz range of procs, runnning minimum 1GB of RAM at like 600-700 MHZ FSB speeds. And we'll have ATI 11000 Pro 512mb Edition, all on a PCI-Express MOBO. And Doom3 and HL-2 will looks like crap compared to the new games coming out for the PC.

Truthfully, this is all speculation and opinion from someone who is really pissed at consoles at the moment. Ok, off the soapbox and onto the fridge. ;)

Comment

you cant compare pc's to consoles...2 totally different formats. consols are designed for games and games only and computers are designed for pretty much everything...in my mind i just dont think you can compare the 2..im not a big fan of assbox either and im a dedicated pc guy too, but you have to give love to the consols too...

Comment

the PS5....just a little joke just cause the controllers look the same still for the 3rd one..just a little cut and paste in paint and there you go

Comment

You're right Crappy. Some systems are being pushed as Gaming computers, and you get to browse the internet and compile Linux kernels as a bonus ---> Alienware ;)

Now that Im over the whole Deus Ex thing (Game is released, and it is horrible) I must give da respect to the consoles. When I plugged in my N64 and threw in GoldenEye, I was amazed.

Comment

Consoles are extremely inexpensive computers displaying to a horribly inferior display, and therefore cannot even begin to compete in nearly all game genres.

Comment

There are two separate issues. Consoles quite obviously cannot and will not ever reach the level of image quality and versatility that a high end PC has attained. PC gamers can play online, they can patch their games if there is a bug/problem, they can choose a variety of input methods, they can use their PC for a dozen different purposes.

However consoles weren't designed to beat PCs. They were designed to be a cost-effective way for the masses to play games at what appears to be good image quality (given the low resolution of TVs). Most people would have much lesser image quality on their ageing low-end PCs, so for them a console is both cheaper and prettier.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you can't afford a high end gaming PC, or just want a quick "switch on, start playing" machine then a console is perfect. And they sell like hotcakes.

Plus piracy on consoles is much, much lower than PCs, so games manufacturers can sell a lot more console games.

There's no winner - it all depends on what you want to spend for what you want to do.
                          My Machine

Comment

true true :cheers: , but you know that the ps3 is probably gonna have high graphics and you dont nkow what the consols graphics are gonng look like, someday high end computers will probably be the size of a damn ps2. but yeah i totallly agree with you persian..did you notice the giant graphic leap the ps1 went from to the ps2..so imagine the graphics on a ps3 we can only wait and argue..hehe

Comment

You have to consider several things. The better the graphics a console is capable of (compared to a PC), the more expensive the console. Also, since most people play on regular telelvisions, the graphics will never be as crisp, clear and smooth as 1600x1200x32 (or higher) resolution on a PC @ 100fps :)

So for cost and TV limitation reasons, the console will never match a PC. Yes the PS1 -> PS2 jump was great, but at the same time my PC can make PS2 graphics look dated.

Finally console games are scaled down to perform at a constant 30fps (or so). That means less polygons, less effects and less clear textures.

Yes the PS3 will be incredible, but the argument about PC vs Console is always won by the PC. However a high end PC sets you back several thousand whereas a console sets you back almost a tenth or a fifth of that amount.
                              My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
                                ... but the argument about PC vs Console is always won by the PC.
                                Disagree. :) Both systems have various pros and cons, and appeal to different audiences, and to say that it's always won by the PC isn't really correct. In my opinion anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X