Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ps2 sucks + playstation defense

ps2 sucks, it is outdated and the games are all so similar

look at mgs2 compared to splinter cell or thief and tell me that the "stealth" is great, i mean, you hide in a box for ****s sake, what sort of stealth is that.

pc is the best gaming platform, and xbox is based on pc architexture, thus making it the best console

they may not have as many games, but its quality not quantity

Thanks for the info..
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

so you're basing your argument on the fact that he hides in a box, and that it is 'outdated'? anything else you want to simply spout out with out thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by albatraous

So GTA Vice City is outdated because its setting is in the 80's?

FFX must be outdated too....

Gran Turismo is outdated as well isn't it...

MGS got rated by reviewers as one of the best games out there because it was outdated ...and because the box was cardboard not the new poly urthene stuff...

You are so right...:thumb: Wanna add him to he list Beefy?
        - Damien

Comment

Good idea Flaco. Closing thread as it's not gonna go anywhere.

Comment

ps2 is outdated though, the power isn't as good as the pc or xbox, and the only hold they have on the market is that you can play old ps1 games on it

as for you saying that there aren't any new game ideas on any console look at:

deus ex (pc)
            halo (xbox)
            ut2k3 (pc)
            blinx(xbox)
            thief (pc)
            age of empires (pc)
            half life & counter strike (pc)

that is just a handful of games that have at least one new way of playing games, and you have to just look at:

doom 3 (pc)
            unreal 2(pc)
            steel battelion (xbox)
            halo2 (xbox)

to see the games that are going to push not only graphics and sound forward, but gameplay too.

next time think bebore you speak, and just because you love ps2 doesn't mean others can't be good. I think the gamecube is great, but it doesn't work for me, i respect how good it is though. ps2 owners are always slagging off xbox and pc, when the pc is the original gaming platform and the future platform.

think about it, xbox & ps2 are going for 'online games', when pc has had this ability for years. another revalution dont ya think?

And as for beefy closing my thread down, it is obvious that he isn't using this forum to allow people to express ideas and opinions, but to destroy them.

my comment about the crap 'stealth' of hiding in a box was ONE of the things i can't stand mgs2 for, not the only reason.

thanks for listening

:flames: Albatraous:flames:

Comment

OK, that's it... The reason I closed down the other thread is because you were the one who seemed to be a fan boy. But obviously you've come back for some more.

Obviously everything I say is going to be 'tainted' by my opinion, so you'll just use your lame excuse of calling me a fanboy or whatnot, but I don't really care.

The PS2 is in no way different to the two other consoles. All gaming platforms (including PC) all have their ups and downs. Over the years, apart from PCs, I've owned 8 different consoles. I've enjoyed them all thoroughly for different reasons.

I took note of your lists, and I say you are a hypocrite. You are saying all these games have new ideas, yet you are basically giving us two gaming genres - Real Time Strategy games and FPS games (forgive me, I don't know what Blinx is, so I could have missed one). Sure, they are all slightly modified, but they all, in essence, follow the same theme.

Deus Ex - Run around, shoot things, solve the odd puzzle, use some skills.
              Halo - Run around, shoot things, use a couple fancy in game features.
              UT2k3 - Run around, shoot things,
              Thief - as Deus Ex
              Age of Empires - Build stuff, kill the enemy
              HL / CS - As UT2K3

You mention Doom 3 as a new thing. Aside from the fact that it's still probably a year into the future (where you current PC will be extinct), what's so special about it? Games continually push graphics harder and further. Developers learn how to use what they have better than before. Obviously though, you wouldn't be paying attention to any of this happening on consoles though.

Again, you only really gave us two genres before, RTS and FPS. So I ask you - What about Fighting games? Racing Games? Puzzle Games? Party Games? Where are these? I can't say I see many of them on PC. The last reasonable fighter I remember on PC was Mortal Kombat 3, and that was a long time ago. Now we have games like Tekken 4, Dead or Alive 2, even a brand new, fully 3D Mortal Kombat on the way. I could easily go on for the other types I mentioned, but it's not worth it.

Game ports between systems - it happens. Usually one system will be better than the other. Simple question: Which system would you prefer to play Grand Theft Auto on? The majority of people I know, that have played both, prefered it on PS2. Why? Sure, the PC version looked the same, you could put in your own music, do whatever. But it was the feel of the console that people enjoyed. Just sitting down in front of the TV and going for it. That is the main reason that Rockstar only released the 'sequel', GTA - Vice City, on PS2. Because it had a better target audience.

That reminds me. I'd like to jump back to my previous rant about genres. One of the main reasons I purchased a PS2, aside from the backward compatibility, the built in DVD player and future internet use, is the fact that it has the BEST assortment of role playing games. Ever. There is simply no doubting that. Sony, since the PS1, have been amazing with the quality of RPGs they have produced for that system. And it shows. After 4 Final Fantasy games for PS / PS2 (with 3 more already on the way), 3 releases of Suikoden, 2 Wild Arms, 2 Vandal Hearts... the list goes on.. it shows that there is a huge following for it, and it is the system to do it on.

But all I've been ranting about is the PS systems. What about the others? I'll easily grant you the fact that a PC has more functionality than a console. It's made for the internet. It's made for multiplayer games. It's made for games that use first person perspective (due to a mouse / keyboard and many assorted peripherals). I'm not gonna deny any of that. I just don't think people who consider themselves gamers should shun any one system.

How about some other examples? Nintendo. They would have to be the best brand name for games aimed at younger people (and now the not so younger people). Games like the early Marios, the Donkey Kongs, the Starfoxes, the Mario Party's.... these were all a big hit. Why? Many reasons.. They appealed to all, as anyone could play these. They weren't overly easy, but they didn't confuse and bewilder players. The themes were well suited to kids (Pokemon anyone?), usually a great start to a merchandising sellout...

How about Microsoft's entry with the X-Box? Oh, it must be good. It's got better specs than any other console! It has X-Box Live (where supported). It's Microsoft! It's got Halo! ... If it's such a damn good console, then tell me why Microsoft were considering pulling out of the Australian market. The figures for console buyers in this country will surprise you. More people have purchased a PS2 than Gamecubes and X-Boxes put together. As far as I know (I could be wrong), even Gamecubes have outsold X-Boxes. But I'm not here to put them down either. They are a good console. Theoretically, they do perform better. But it's the history of Sony and Nintendo that are going to help them stay on top of MS.

So stop it with this crap that it's an outdated system. Being 'outdated' has nothing to do with it. If so, then why are Game Boy Advances so damn popular? All they seem to be are portable Super Nintendos....

Comment

my comment about the crap 'stealth' of hiding in a box was ONE of the things i can't stand mgs2 for, not the only reason.
                Oh, how did I miss this? You are picking on a game because of a little fault like this? Now that's just petty. It's like saying you didn't like Mario because the pipes were green.

And again, it comes back to what you were saying. The games you listed all fall into general categories, with some falling a bit further from the tree than others. MGS is just doing more of the same. It probably branches out further than many, due to all sorts of little features and idiosyncrasies that make it what it is. Games these days need little features like that to make them stand out in the crowd. To make them different. Sure, they could have not included it and just made people hide normally, but putting it in adds character to the game... While you obviously weren't impressed, many people were, and will remember things like this and add to their overall impression of the game.

Comment

most ppl i have talked to about gta3 say it is better on pc, since you can

1: have your own music
                  2: improved graphics
                  3: add your own skins
                  4: improved control

sure sitting in front of a tv with the game is good, no denying that, but the actual game is made better on pc, though i apprecieate what you are saying

also vice city will be released on pc later, but they could nock up a version on ps2 quicker, because of the simpler achitexture (one machine type, instead of millions of pc types) and the game has been out longer

xbox IS outselling gamecube now, and as for your comment about the gameboy advance being outdated, IT IS A HANDHELD CONSOLE AND HAS NO COMPETITORS, not in the same league as the other 3. unless you carry your ps2 around with you on the train to work that is :D

The way you express both of your opinions is what i always thought of ps2 gamers, only like their own, and don't care for new competition (sounds like in-breeders)

i didn't deny the fact that sony and nintendo has a history, in fact i remember saying that.

also ninteno and sony were going to make the SNES-CDrom, but ninteno snubbed sony, so sony made the ps1 just to piss them off, so originally wasn't designed to be a major console

blinx is a platfromer on xbox (big title, talked about quite a bit and hard to miss unless you were living under a rock for years, or playing ps2 for that matter) and has time warbing abilities. you can pause time, so you can dodge objects, rewind to replace broken bridges, etc, and record youreslf distrating an enemy, and replay the scene with you going around the back while your recorded self is occupying the enemy. if thats not a new idea, then what is??

just because someone appears that is some serious competition, doesn't mean you have to hate it, just respect it

i used to respect ps2 when it came out, but now that i am a pc gamer and an xbox gamer, i have to put up with constant ranting about (false) reports of xbox damaging discs and 'huge' controller issues.

like i said before, i still have respect for gamecube, as the owners tend to respect all platforms, NOT JUST THEIR OWN!!!!

message to all ps2 gamers
                  show the xbox and pc some respect, and we will show ours to the ps2

p.s
                  if you think that there is no new ideas in the gaming community, the same could be said about films, couldn't it? and if you dont like the way 'no' games are doing anything new try something else, like a card game, since they are all variations on a theme

poker is a card game
                  snap is a card game

therefore they must be the same, right???
                  that is what you were saying about first person shooters and rts games right???

and the same argument you said for fps and rts games can be said for the other genres you mentioned, even more so infact.

racing, hmmm.....drive cars around a track, how can you change that

beat em ups, hmmm..... beat up people, err add walls, large arenas, not really any inovation to that

and you have the cheek to call me a fan boy

Comment

most ppl i have talked to about gta3 say it is better on pc, since you can

1: have your own music
                    2: improved graphics
                    3: add your own skins
                    4: improved control

sure sitting in front of a tv with the game is good, no denying that, but the actual game is made better on pc, though i apprecieate what you are saying

Can I ask why you think it's better though? Personally (like everything else I say), I prefer the graphics on the PS2 version. The PC version is fairly crisp and sharp, which kind of draws me away from it a little. The PS2 version was filitered slightly to look different, and I liked that. But it all boils down to personal taste.

also vice city will be released on pc later, but they could nock up a version on ps2 quicker, because of the simpler achitexture (one machine type, instead of millions of pc types) and the game has been out longer

Can you give me some proof that Vice City is coming out on PC? All accounts I've seen show that it's PS2 only. Even Rockstar don't show any sign of releasing it. There's been another thread about it here, and the person who said it was going to be released didn't seem to answer once asked for evidence. And knocking up a PS2 version quicker because it's been out longer, etc.. is a load of crap really. Both versions have the game engine in place. Both versions seem to be working equally as well. Hell, for the PC version, they could have easily made it an expansion pack, so they don't have to sell the whole package again. But no...

xbox IS outselling gamecube now, and as for your comment about the gameboy advance being outdated, IT IS A HANDHELD CONSOLE AND HAS NO COMPETITORS, not in the same league as the other 3. unless you carry your ps2 around with you on the train to work that is :D

It may be that way over there, but here in Australia things are different. Due to Microsoft making a strange agreement to only sell X-Boxes from certain retailers, retail outlets carrying the box were considerably less than the other products. When the agreement was lifted, it had already had a negative effect on sales.

As for not being in the same league, I don't think you see my point. You originally talk about things being outdated. Are the graphics on the GBA not outdated? Is the gameplay not unlike that of the SNES? Yeah, sure, it's a portable system, which probably gives it a bit of lee-way in comparison to the others, but my point is still that it's based outdated consoles.

The way you express both of your opinions is what i always thought of ps2 gamers, only like their own, and don't care for new competition (sounds like in-breeders)

So we are being stereotyped now for our opinions? Oh, and we must be inbreeders as well... Normal people can't have strong opinions about something. My mistake... I like how you classify me as a ps2 gamer. Considering I spend more time on my PC and Gamecube than on my PS2. But I'm sticking up for the console while someone bashes it, so I must be a ps2 gamer...

i didn't deny the fact that sony and nintendo has a history, in fact i remember saying that.

You did say that? Where?

also ninteno and sony were going to make the SNES-CDrom, but ninteno snubbed sony, so sony made the ps1 just to piss them off, so originally wasn't designed to be a major console

And the relevance of this is...? While I'm impressed of your console history, I still fail to see how this relates to anything.

blinx is a platfromer on xbox (big title, talked about quite a bit and hard to miss unless you were living under a rock for years, or playing ps2 for that matter) and has time warbing abilities. you can pause time, so you can dodge objects, rewind to replace broken bridges, etc, and record youreslf distrating an enemy, and replay the scene with you going around the back while your recorded self is occupying the enemy. if thats not a new idea, then what is??

Like I said, I wasn't sure of Blinx and what it was. However, I went and did my research. And yeah, it's a damn fine idea. But I think that one's more aimed at ollever than me. I agree with you on that one.

just because someone appears that is some serious competition, doesn't mean you have to hate it, just respect it

Who's hating anything? You were the one that started the PS2 bashing thread. Was it really necessary to start in the first place?

i used to respect ps2 when it came out, but now that i am a pc gamer and an xbox gamer, i have to put up with constant ranting about (false) reports of xbox damaging discs and 'huge' controller issues.

Again, what has this got to do with anything? It doesn't really lead anywhere, does it? You say you used to respect the PS2, but then don't give a reason for not respecting it, then you bring up a couple faults in the X-Box? Huh? BTW, if there are a couple reports about something, then it could be coincidence. But if many people report it, then there is a problem. You and people you know may not be affected by it, but I guarantee it is real.

like i said before, i still have respect for gamecube, as the owners tend to respect all platforms, NOT JUST THEIR OWN!!!!

I'm all for that as well. That's why I've had so many different consoles.

message to all ps2 gamers
                    show the xbox and pc some respect, and we will show ours to the ps2

I don't remember anyone here disrespecting those two systems, so why start this whole argument? Remember, you are the one who did start all this.

if you think that there is no new ideas in the gaming community, the same could be said about films, couldn't it?

Hell yes.

and if you dont like the way 'no' games are doing anything new try something else, like a card game, since they are all variations on a theme

poker is a card game
                    snap is a card game

therefore they must be the same, right???
                    that is what you were saying about first person shooters and rts games right???

and the same argument you said for fps and rts games can be said for the other genres you mentioned, even more so infact.

racing, hmmm.....drive cars around a track, how can you change that

beat em ups, hmmm..... beat up people, err add walls, large arenas, not really any inovation to that

I stated more than names of games in a genre to show how alike they were. I was a little blunt about it though. Sure, military FPS do differ from futuristic / historic FPS and so on, but for gameplay they are all based on the same idea. You can't seriously think that snap and poker are anything alike. Yeah, they are card games. But I didn't group the others as just 'computer games' did I?

But yeah, you are right. The others are much alike. BUT again you missed the point. What I was getting at is that these genres aren't as dominant on some systems as others. Like I said, fighting games don't appear on PC... FPS hardly appear on console.

and you have the cheek to call me a fan boy

Yeah, yeah I do. Need I remind you again that YOU are the one that started the thread, with an uninformed view of the console. You've given us some more to think about now, but originally it was all just bashing away at the PS2. Totally uncalled for. And at what point did I promote any system above any other? Like I've been saying, I'll play anything. I do play anything. I'm not gonna say this system is better than that system. Unlike yourself. Yeah, I did say I didn't like the X-Box much, but I still didn't say it was a crap console. It's a damn fine console. It just doesn't hold any interest for me. Don't mean I need to start threads about how crap it is.

This is the whole reason I closed the first thread. Arguments like this have happened before around here, and they don't lead anywhere because different people have differing views. Whether it's due to them being misinformed / misled, I don't know. People's tastes do differ though. I'm gonna merge these two threads and let it run for a bit.

Comment

Re: ps2 sucks + playstation defense

Originally posted by albatraous View Post

look at mgs2 compared to splinter cell or thief and tell me that the "stealth" is great, i mean, you hide in a box for ****s sake, what sort of stealth is that.

pc is the best gaming platform, and xbox is based on pc architexture, thus making it the best console

they may not have as many games, but its quality not quantity
                      Thanks for let us know

Comment

Working...
                      X