On buying bricked things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On buying bricked things...

Do you think it is wise to buy, say, a PS3 which is damaged (like, turns on then turns off) and try to fix it yourself? My PSone was damaged once and I just jumped a few fuses and I was back in business.

Re: On buying bricked things...

Depends how much it was selling for I guess. Could be an interesting project although not something suitable for someone unexperienced with electronics I'd imagine.

Comment

They had some issues with the PS3's overheating, so you could be getting into something more then you can fix. I'm not sure what's avail as for replacement parts yet, or what's interchangable among industry standards as the PS3 is still pretty new.

Comment

Tsk... I will try my luck on some bricked cheap item first (like the PS3). If I don't succeed, I will gut my old laptop and make a proper casemod for it. Heheheh...

Comment

I've had some luck buying stuff off craigslist. I'm trying to fix up a 42" plasma tv with parts I buy on ebay. The plasma was free, but one of the parts (the Y-sus board) is faulty, so I have to replace that. If all goes well, I shall have a like-new plasma tv for under 300 dollars! If not, selling off the plasma wont be too hard, but the parts are a gamble.
          Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
          Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
          CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
          CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
          GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

Hm... Does anyone have a bricked PSP? Just asking.

You know, when you turn it on, it turns off. I want the console including battery only. Fine, keep the charger, USB cable and the mem stick - I don't care.

No cracked screens, decapitated analog stick, smashed buttons, gutted unit, or broke UMD drives please.

Maximum is CN$40 for the complete system and battery.

EDIT: When I say "decapitated," I mean damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by xaglx View Post
              I've had some luck buying stuff off craigslist. I'm trying to fix up a 42" plasma tv with parts I buy on ebay. The plasma was free, but one of the parts (the Y-sus board) is faulty, so I have to replace that. If all goes well, I shall have a like-new plasma tv for under 300 dollars! If not, selling off the plasma wont be too hard, but the parts are a gamble.
              I think I spotted a YSUS Board, and It's only $70

Good luck fixin' that plasma!

Comment

Working...
              X