Give a first time comp builder some help---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give a first time comp builder some help---

Built my first comp with all new parts just last summer, should be pretty good stuff but I know theres got to be some things I can do to speed things up. Win XP seems to run poorly at times but doesnt lock up for the most part. Most games run pretty good, but some of my friends pcs with slower parts seem to run better w/same settings.

Anyway heres what I got:

Asus K8 Delux mobo
    AMD 64 3400+
    1 gb kingston 2700
    40 gb ata running XP profess sp1
    250 sata
    SB Audigy 2 ZS
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

I've been planning to change the stock heatsink/fan that came with the amd but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Anyway any suggestions to speed things up would help a lot

thanks

Re: Give a first time comp builder some help---

Check temps out if over 40 at idle change HSF or re-apply what ever you have on the bottem of that HS.(I dont let mine get over 30 Idle 50 Load)

Comment

I've got artic silver compound under the heatsink, anyone I talked to said it was the best-- should I try something else?

Comment

No thats the best stuff there is... You just have to apply it properly how much did you put on it, the applied layer should be about as thin as paper.

Comment

The PC2700 isn't helping... You should have at least PC3200, but that' not really the problem. PC2700 helps, but it isn't necessary, and isn't the problem in this case.

Aside from that, proper driver installation. You should have installed the VIA 4-in1, followed by DirectX (if VIA doesn't require the latest DX as some chipsets do now, in which case DX is the first thing). After that come video card drivers and other drivers, and then Windows Update (don't get SP2 if you don't want, but check for hardware updates in particular).

Comment

How many more people are we going to get that can't put their posts in a more appropriate forum.

Comment

Working...
            X