• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SETI as a Service

As me and kane call it, Quickborg 1.0

http://www.geocities.com/amd_man2003/index.html

Coming soon, Quickborg v2.0 in an auto-run ISO format

Comment

I sent you a PM about how to make the install easy, cutting away all the crap that was there.
      Im gonna see about getting rid of the prompts next week
      ;)

Comment

Quickborg v1.2 is in latter development

Comment

Trying to catch me? By borging people that dont know you are stealing resources from them? hmmmmmm :thumbs do :no:

Comment

Quickborg v1.2 is up and running. Mainly due to researching by kane. I made the actual auto-run CD tho (he told me how)

Im gonna upload it to my site in a few

Comment

I hope you are not planning to 'borg' computers without the owner's permission :no:

nothing wrong with healthy competition, just don't want to see anyone taking it too far.

*btw, what did you put in your autorun.inf?
              I made one for installing OpenOffice from CD, I'm just curious for comparison
              [autorun]

open=setup.exe

icon=icon.ico

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                I hope you are not planning to 'borg' computers without the owner's permission :no:

nothing wrong with healthy competition, just don't want to see anyone taking it too far.
                personally, Im just using them for my Moms P4, so she wont have to deal with the hassle of the SETI Driver, and on some other rigs of my family that want it totally hidden.

Thats why I have a disclaimer....

Comment

I hope you are not planning to 'borg' computers without the owner's permission :no: nothing wrong with healthy competition, just don't want to see anyone taking it too far.
                  hmmmm Makes me wonder too, how do you hide a process completely from the owner/user, and why would you?

I guess it wouldn't have anything to do with this quote would it?

Kane2G I will go and borg as many systems as I need to to be ahead of Cheez.
                  Makes you wonder what they are upto. I guess it doesn't matter, SirKane is going to have to Borg lots to stay ahead o' me. I just hope that he doesn't end up in legal trouble with this "borging"

Comment

*btw, what did you put in your autorun.inf?
                    I made one for installing OpenOffice from CD, I'm just curious for comparison
                    [autorun]
                    borg.bat

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                      [autorun]
                      borg.bat
                      :laugh: i thought mine was simple...

Comment

:laugh: i thought mine was simple...
                        Yep, and I had actually thought auto-run was gonna be a pain in the ass

Comment

November 14, 2003

Over the past few weeks we've been getting reports from users who found unauthorized installations of SETI@home on their systems. It should be made clear that this is not due to a security flaw in SETI@home itself, but a flaw in your system that allows viruses to infiltrate and install our software.

In one case, a user found a Windows command line client running under the name "cpuidle" in the directory:

D:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\CPUIDLE

There is a real program out there called "cpuidle" - this particular infection was running SETI@home under this same name to confuse the user into thinking it was the valid "cpuidle" and not a fake one.

Another user claimed that they got infected this way over an IRC channel.

In the past, known worms were distributed around the internet that infected systems, causing them to download SETI@home and execute it. For example, we already know about this one from back in 2001:

http://[email protected]

Unfortunately, at this time we don't know much about the worm/virus which may be doing this. If you have any clues, please pass them along to us. We'll update this web page as we gather more information.
                          Be very careful guys as they're onto ya's already. :devil win

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                            Be very careful guys as they're onto ya's already. :devil win
                            I just happened to see that checkingthe hompeage a minute ago :devil win
                            :cheers:

Comment

wiggo you wouldnt happen to have the virus on hand?
                              i would mind looking at source code

Comment

Working...
                              X