Hackers 2 - Operation Takedown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers 2 - Operation Takedown

Just finished watching Hackers 2 - Operation Takedown on DIVX and I must say it's one of the best computer hacking movies I've ever seen, mostly for it's realism. They actually used real operating systems (varients of Unix and even Windows 3.1) - Other moves just seem to make up software that we think it should look like.

A good well done to the makers of this movie!

neva heard of it:confused:

Comment

neither have i....windows 3.1? how old is this movie?:?:

Comment

Last year I think. Don't worry, I hadn't heard of it either till I got it at a LAN the other week. Maybe it wasn't released in Australia.

Comment

yeah, its pretty good :thumb:
          i got it from a friend about a month ago
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I have never heard of it either. I watched the first one and it was lame. They were hacking with MAC Powerbooks. LOL

Comment

in hackers 2 they were hacking nokitel phones and a system called SAS
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

does anyone have information on what company made the movie or produced it so I caould go find it

Comment

Re: Hackers 2 - Operation Takedown

The reason nobody has heard of it is because it's not REALLY "Hackers 2". The "Hackerst 2: Operation Takedown" title is the bootleg name, or common name. The actually name of the movie is "Takedown" but you'll still find it more commonly under the Hackers 2 part. It wasn't really a big release. The original movie Hackers was more of an underground movie and did better with video sales than actual theater gross, so H2 was never released in theaters. It's actually just the Kevin Mitnick story. Anyone familiar with the hacker community over the past 10 years or so knows who he is, otherwise you might want to do a bit of research, because you won't know who he is or what the story is about. The movie itself is written with a bit of a bias on part of the person(s) responsible for tracking and capturing Mr. Mitnick, and the hacker community in general disagreed with the charges and portrayals in the movie.

Comment

The movie Takedown is based on a book written by John Markoff using the real experience of Tsutomu Shimomura [the guy who helped the FEDs catch Kevin Mitnick].

http://www.takedown.com/ for more info. i remember reading the book back in the mid 1990's iand it was pretty good. but there was another book called "The Cyberthief and The Samurai" which was a much better read in my opinion.

Comment

Comment

nice review of the film and take on the whole sordid situation..

The scary thing about the whole thing is this:

Shimomura and Mitnick have way too many similarities in life the only difference is Shimomura grew up in an environment where his curiosity was encouraged and Mitnick grew up in an environment where his curiosity was frowned upon. Think about this in the book it mentions how when Shimomura was a boy growing up on the Princeton University campus, where his parents worked as professors he was getting free sodas from soda machines [by hacking them] and social engineering his way past security.. Yet his curiosity was encouraged. In Cyberpunk, Mitnick's youth was treated as if he were a criminal to be growing up in a bad enviroment, hanging out with phreakers/hackers and consorting with known criminals...

Comment

If you enjoeyed this movie, than perhaps I could interest you in the OTHER side of the story. Perhaps the one from Kevin Mitnick and his friends. As someone else mentioned, this movie (and book) is a biased opionion.

If you would like more insight to what really happend and more of the other side, go rent, buy, borrow, or download [yes, you can download it, since 2600 productions wants this movie distributed] the movie Freedom Downtime [http://www.freedomdowntime.com/]. As Quoted from the DVD box "Broadcasting, Netcasting and Copying are encouraged as long as it's free."

I have not seen Track Down, as of now, it is in my Amazon List to be shipped.
                          But if you at least see the other sides view, It would at least make me and some other people happy.
                          Last edited by loclhst; 01-26-2005, 01:16 PM. Reason: correct link

Comment

I saw Freedom Downtime at one of the HOPE conferences in NYC sometime ago. its interesting but its not the sort of thing you want to watch over and over. once is enough.

Comment

the movie takedown was made on kevin mitnick,the one claimed to be the worlds most notorious hacker or cyber criminal.kevin mitnick hacked into 35 major corporations(including novell,nokia,sun microsystems,motorola etc) and caused a damage of 80 million us $.he was declared the most wanted cyber criminal in 1992 by FBI.he was sentenced to 5 yrs of imprisonment and was restricted to use internet and any electronic device for 8 yrs in 1995,when he was caught.
                              after his release from the federal prison, he started his computer security company and has written two books on computer security-the art of intrusion and the art of deception.
                              impresed by the personality of kevin mitnick,the director made a movie out of his real life story and named it-operation takedown.
                              (the man is the most notorious hacker till date).

Comment

Working...
                              X