1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

A couple of weeks ago the "check engine" dash light suddenly came on while driving. I did not notice any difference in the way the vehicle performed.

My question is this for those of you that know about this situation: Will the check engine light cause any major damage if I don't have it checked out?

The vehicle in question is a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT pickup, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, with air conditioning and nearly 80,000 miles.

So far I have not noticed anything different in the way it performs.

Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Just about anything can make that light come on, from a loosened gas cap to a bad oxygen sensor.
    To be safe, have the codes read and find out what the specific problem is. Several of the local garages around here will hook up their code readers for free, hoping they can get the repair job.

Comment

Thanks again KG, I tried the gas cap deal first (read about that in the owners manual) but no help there......I guess I'll have to have a tester put on it then go from there.....most likely something of little consequence.....I hope!

Comment

Take it to autozone. They test codes for free. I've done that and it worked great. Most other companies charge $80 for a OBD II scan and code check. For that price, you literally can buy your own OBD II code checker!!!

Comment

Porscheguy......you do not know how happy you made me by giving me that information about AutoZone. I did not know they did that. Guess where I'll be tomorrow.

You're the man of the day for me partner. Thank you very kindly for taking the time to respond to my post!! And I do hope you see this. Thanks again.

Comment

Never a problem burnselk. Just here to help!

Comment

I went to AutoZone today and they did exactly as you said.....they were happy to put a code tester on it.....it can up with a P1443 for my 1996 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

Do you know how I can use this information? Is there a website that can tell me exactly what the problem is? The AutoZone guy said something about "auxillary emission....."

Comment

I looked it up on some other site and it said that it was a gas cap error. I've had this happen. Just replace the gas cap, it clears the code after a few starts.

Comment

That simple huh?.....that's amazing....and a good thing....at least my engine isn't about to die. I can certainly replace the gas cap! Thank you. I was hoping you'd be able to help me since you had done it before.

Did the site mention anything the problem (bad gas cap) would cause if I didn't replace the gas cap? Doubt it...just thought I'd ask.

By the way, when I start to reply to someone's post/comments, I'm given a choice of sending a "post" or a "quick reply".

What's the difference in a "post" and a "quick reply" and which should I use? Or does it matter? I suppose this is answered by this site but I just now thought about it. Thought I'd ask you.

Comment

Well I looked into it more. Some sites say that the P1443 code deals with some other stuff. One guy said that you need to replace the emissons control valve and thermistor and it solved the problem. Another guy said that the gas cap would be the first thing to replace. I have not looked around a Ranger lately. My Sable's gas cap was pretty easy to change. It had a little ring that attached the cap to the cap and went all the way around the cap as one piece with no openings so you could easily open it up to get it off the cap. I put the cap and ring in some hot water and it easily popped off. I then put it on the new cap and reinstalled it. Maybe took 10 minutes tops.

You might try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. If it is just a one time error, the check engine light will not show up again. You could also call the dealer and ask for a service tech to help withe the strange error code. You're probably going to be fine, unless your in California, and they are sooo picky about emissions.

Comment

Found these three responses at another site:

"Have replaced the emissons control valve, the thermistor as suggested in code P1443. Problem still there. A possible clue, when gas tank is filled check engine light goes off. At about a half tank of gas check engine reappeares".

and .....

"check for blockages between the fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold. Also check for obstructions in the EVAP canister purge valve diaphragm and ports. A blocked fuel vapor hose or vacuum hose."

and.....

"I'm having same problem, but I tracked my down. Found a vacum line going to the evap canister had a hole in it from rubbing on the pully next to it. Also found all the vacuum lines in the circuit are dry rotted and turning to powder. If this is your problem, try replacing all the vacum lines".

So, the plot thickens.......bet I can guess what the dealer's mechanic will say....."it could be one of several things, I'll have to check them all.....and $300 and hours later, he finds the problem".....what say you (as Bill O'Rielly says)?

By the way, when the guy at AutoZone put the tester on it....he not only told me the code, he also cleared it for me and the light went out.....but a few starts later the same day, it was back on again and stays on. Go figure.

Comment

Yeah, the Autozone guy did the same for us. The code also came back and we disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it all cleared.

As for your problem, I really don't know. Your best bet (in my opinion) would to just replace the gas cap and go from there. If that doesn't work, your probably looking at going to the dreaded dealer to get it repaire. If you can replace the parts yourself, I would do that. Other than that, I would just take it to the dealer to play it safe.

Comment

I'll give the dealer a call next week and see what they have to say. The AutoZone guy reset it but the light came on again the same day.

Thanks for the great information Porsche. My gas cap also has the security ring on it also.

Comment

I was an assisstant manager at an Autozone and I cannot stress this enough:

DO NOT LET THOSE MORONS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!! Most of them think they know much more about cars than they do, and if they hurt your car by touching it, they are not liable. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR, ESPECIALLY THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

Please everyone, if the light goes on, go to a lisensed mechanic or the dealer. It is worth the money not to get your car wrecked. The dealer will only charge you an hourly rate, and you can set a limit as to how much to spend. Besides, they don't want your car in their shop for 8 hours, they could ge tmore jobs done and make mre money. Your safest bet is the dealer or a pro that specializes in emissions.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate
                            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
                              DO NOT LET THOSE MORONS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!! Most of them think they know much more about cars than they do, and if they hurt your car by touching it, they are not liable.
                              They're like the Geek Squad of cars then?

Comment

Working...
                              X