1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

I have not had the misfortune to let the Geek Squad touch my PC, but I have seen what untrained parts counter guys can do to a car. I watched as an employee used the wrong code scanning device on a Toyota MR2 and he completely shorted out the ECU and most of the engine sensors. The customer brought me a bil of $3000 for the repairs and demanded reimbursement. The general manager for the sector I was working in came down and basically told the guy to go **** in his hat and said that AutoZone would never pay for it and that he should consult an attorney.

As a general rule, if the person touching your car is not a mechanic, then do not be surprised when your car is ruined. I would never let anyone besides a licensed mechanic touch my car, and NOONE touches my PC. I can mess that up just fine all by myself.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Casecutter, I understand and I agree.....those guys do not know what they're doing most of the time. I'm no machanic or even close to being one, but could be doing that kind of work if I really tried I bet. The guy that checked my pickup said "the code checker says your problem is somewhere in the aux. emissions system". That doesn't tell me anything. I got busy this week and have not called the dealer yet....but that's my next stop....maybe tomorrow. But, I will let everyone know how this turns out. I appreciate the input from you guys. It's all about learning and I need all of the help I can get. Thanks a million.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to replace the check engine light?

In Texas models after 1996 must have the check engine light must come on and go off to pass inspection. Mine has been on for so long it burned out. Now I need to fix the bulb and then try to fix why it was staying on in the first place.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
          I was an assisstant manager at an Autozone and I cannot stress this enough:

DO NOT LET THOSE MORONS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!! Most of them think they know much more about cars than they do, and if they hurt your car by touching it, they are not liable. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR, ESPECIALLY THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

Please everyone, if the light goes on, go to a lisensed mechanic or the dealer. It is worth the money not to get your car wrecked. The dealer will only charge you an hourly rate, and you can set a limit as to how much to spend. Besides, they don't want your car in their shop for 8 hours, they could ge tmore jobs done and make mre money. Your safest bet is the dealer or a pro that specializes in emissions.

Amen Brother... :)
          I work at a Chrysler-Jeep Dealership here in Atlanta, and can tell you story after story of having to find and fix problems that should have been a minor fix at the start, but turned into a nightmare after the owner "Finally" brought the car to a dealer *usually towed in by then* :)
          99% of all check engine light problems can be correctly "Diagnosed" (and sometimes fixed) within the first hour of a Technician receiving the Work Order!
          reasons for this are.
          : knowledge of the product line.
          : correct and current reference materials.
          : latest tools and equipment for diagnosis and testing.
          in the long run it would be less expensive to have the problem found and fixed correctly the first time, than playing Trial&error with parts and mechanics :)

**I am not vouching for EVERY dealership.... some do suck** :)

For whats its worth, I am an ASE Master Tech with 25 years working on cars.

Comment

Kruz, thanks for the great advice.

It's good to know we have professionals concerning this particular problem. Thanks

Comment

Today I called a Ford dealer and the service manager told me they charge $73 to check it. He said it could be many things but the checker would tell them exactly what it is. He also said it could be the EGR or ARR valve....probably one of the "sensors" and he said it was nothing to worry about. Said the bottom line was it would cost about $200 to $300 to test it and fix it.

I called a smaller well known shop with many years of experience....they said they charge $40 to scan the problem and that it could probably be fixed for an additional $30 to $80. Said it could be one of 16 or 17 sensors. He also said it's unsually not a problem to be too concerned about. In WV we don't have emission laws like some other states so it's not something that will prevent me getting a state inspection...at least not yet.

Comment

I had the same problem. Had it scanned for the code. Was told that it was nothing to be worried about. I just took the lightbulb out 80,000 miles ago. Truck still runs like new and has 210,000 miles on it. The mechanic said more than likely it was the gas cap. I just tighten it about 3 turns and that's it.

Comment

Thanks john....was your truck a Ford Ranger also? It's good to hear from someone who has the same problem. I was hoping it was nothing to worry about. I'll do just that.

Comment

Yes I have a 1996 Ranger, 4 cyl. As I said before it has 210,000 miles on it and runs like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by johnj22
                      I just took the lightbulb out 80,000 miles ago. Truck still runs like new and has 210,000 miles on it.
                      Was the bulb difficult to take out johnj22? I'd like to do that.

Comment

The dashboard removal and reinstall took about 2 hours. Start with the obvious screws [4 I think] and work your way to the right. There are some hidden screws. It is pretty well A, B, C, D from left to right. If I remember correctly the last screw to remove will be in between the botton of the radio and top of the heater/AC cluster. Gently remove the dashboard cluster cover. It may not want to come out easily but gently give it some help. After I got everything loose the instrument cluster pretty well fell forward and a little manipulation had to be done to get it over the steering wheel column. I replaced all lights with the exception of the "Check Engine Light", that one I just took out completely. That is a call you will have to make for yourself. My state doesn't mandate it has to be working one way or the other. I found that the problem I caused was overfilling the tank with gas[squeezing that last drop in]. Quit when the pump stops when filling up and don't over tighten the gas cap. I just put the capcap on with about 3 turns. Overfilling causes not enough air getting into the tank and will cause the "Check Engine Light" to come on.

Comment

I have my check engine light on my 1996 ford ranger 4.0 automatic and i took it up to autozone and they said it might be the purge value or the canister

Comment

I get that all the time on my old Ranger 4 banger. Make sure you get the gas cap good and tight. I finally got my wife to start tightening the gas cap 3 or 4 clicks and the light quit coming on, after I'd already replaced the purge valve. Sometimes you might need to replace the gas cap itself if it doesn't seal tight, any air getting in will cause the system to lose a vacuum and the light will come on.
                            Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                            Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                            PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                            Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                            Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                            HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                            SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

+1^ or you might have to take in to a repair shop and get the evap system smoke tested as their could be a solenoid stuck open or closed or a pin hole in one of the vent hoses and could through the code for a purge valve or canister. FYI the canisters are charcoal and if it got any fuel in it, it is ruined and will need to be replaced. They do not like it when fuel enters them.

I would recommend starting with the cheaper fixes first, Practice tightening the gas cap properly, replace the gas cap.
                              Main Rig
                              Gigabyte z87x-OC
                              Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                              G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                              Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                              Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                              HiS ATI HD 6950
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                              Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                              Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                              Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                              CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                              Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                              EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                              Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                              Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Working...
                              X