No announcement yet.

4X4 tweak attempt idea, Honda Civic turned off road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4X4 tweak attempt idea, Honda Civic turned off road?

i have a ordinary honda civic dx 4dr sedan, i want to see if i can turn it into a 4x4 tuff vehicle, i know honda made a civic wagon with 4x4 an want to try and see if i can do the same to my civic, then add a raise on the body and a sett of beefeyer tires, its not impossible bu i want to see how cheap can do it, if i do it

Re: 4X4 tweak attempt idea, Honda Civic turned off road?

Wow that would be unbelievably not worth the expense. Even then, a sedan really has no business in the offroad area. To do the conversion, you would need a new transmission and refit the rear wheels with new drive components. Not to mention a new engine because your engine would be seriously underpowered to even try to move a car with a serious off-road kit and wheels. The suspension would probably have to be a complete custom job as I know of absolutely zero lift kits made for a Honda Civic. It would be possible, but it would probably cost more than what the car is worth and would look ridiculous. I would just buy a new truck and modify that. Heck, it may even be cheaper. The structural integrity of the frame would also be questionable for the Civic in an off-road application. Bottom line: Not worth the expense, time, money, or safety risk.

Comment

but i still want to do it, i really hate the twak out inner city civics and want to d the opposite

Comment

Well, like I said, you can do it. It is just gonna take alot of money and resources. So far, I think you would need a new engine, transmission, redone front and rear suspension, new exhaust system, add drive capability to rear wheels, skid plates, and frame reinforcing.

Comment

i was thinking less offroad but more 4 wheel capability, i was goint to rais te car anyway, to go better in snow, the suspention is sot now anyway

Comment

Well the just the addition of rear wheel drive capability is still gonna be expensive and your still gonna need a new transmission and you might as well get a better engine if you can.

Comment

Why not just get the chasis from a CJ5 and drop your civic shell on it. You can work the mounts on it from there.

Comment

that defeats the point, it needs to be the frame from a civic,
                its not hard to reinforce so i m not worried about stability.
                its not that i hate lagitamit tuner car racers just htere are to many 'posers' around where i live who make there cars look an sound like a tuner but run like S**T.
                I want to shock them a little

Comment

Front end and rearend/transfer case/ Transmission/ Engine/ Lift/suspension. Nothing from the Civic stock frame will do this for you unless you do a lot of cutting and welding. Basically you will end up with parts from all over america on a Japanese rice burner. Unless you start thinking of that Samurai jeep frame and I won't tell anyone.

Comment

I know nothing about cars, but I've also got a Honda Civic that I'd like to just have lifted. This is the only place I've even seen mention of doing this. I don't do off-roading, I just want the ability to get it up some of the dirt trails in the mountains where I hike and climb, that require slightly higher-clearance vehicles. I don't even need 4WD, I just want higher clearance to get over a few of the ruts and stuff like that that it currently can't handle but my friend's jeep (stock, no changes) can. And I don't want to have to buy a new car, cause I love my Civic (gas mileage, reliability, etc).

So, how much would it cost me to get it lifted by someone who knows what they are doing? I'm just looking for an estimate before I decide to pursue this. Any ideas?

Comment

ok i don't know what the problem is maybe the world is to pesimistic but anyways if you know of a 4x4 setup in a civic already i would start there see if you can find those parts the complete transaxle the whole rear setup ect. if you could just find a junker somewhere and get it, just strip it of the parts you need and as for a bit of a lift you could always upgrade the suspencion to airbags wont help if you decide to go off road but it would give you a bit of clearance when you wanted it and let you keep the car at a "normal" ride height most of the time you will need to either do some custom work yourself or find someone to do it for you but not as much as you would think since you want to keep it all civic anyways if you go with looking for a junker you should get just about everything you will need as it would be a little beefed up already the only down side i can think of is getting a parts car that has the setup you want but very few useable parts so be careful also there are swap lists on the net for more than just engines they cover everything from stearing wheels to bolt on frontend conversions with little or no modifications search on google see what you can find i'll do the same and get back to you as i'm working on the same thing for one of my civics but i'm using a s-10 frame. but good luck and don't let anyone talk you out of trying cause dreams are made real with effort not hope oh and as to the cost of going 4x4 and lifted you should be able to do it for less than 10g if you shop around and just lifting it i think you could for under 2 or 3g's

Comment

This thread was as dumb of an idea a year ago when it was started as it is now. The cost would be more like 20K+ to get a shop to do it and there would still be major obstacles to doing it. The only 4WD Civic ever was based on a different platform that shares nothing in common with the regular Civic. You could not just put airbags in and lift it enough to go offroad because you would change the suspension geometry so much that the tires would be at a 45 degree angle when lifted. You'd be snapping those weak CV joints every time you even thought of going offroad. It makes no rational sense to do this to a car just because you like it. Plus after you factor in all the weight added, you have a severely underpowered car that would burn more gas than 3 Civics. Making the engine more powerful would also do the same.

The only "sensible" idea so far is your idea of putting the Civic body on a S-10 4WD chassis as that can be done cheaply. Even that would still cost you around 10K to have done in a shop, but a decent backyard mechanic could handle it.

This thread ranks a 9 in the dumbness scale. I would have given it a solid 10 if you didn't offer the only reasonable solution as your answer. Besides, responding to 1+ year old threads will most likely just get you yelled at by the mods. If you need a sport ute, get one. Don't expect a car to do what a sport ute can. It is impossible and impractical.
                        Last edited by casecutter; 10-08-2006, 01:07 PM.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate
                        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by jimsmithkka View Post
                          i have a ordinary honda civic dx 4dr sedan, i want to see if i can turn it into a 4x4 tuff vehicle, i know honda made a civic wagon with 4x4 an want to try and see if i can do the same to my civic, then add a raise on the body and a sett of beefeyer tires, its not impossible bu i want to see how cheap can do it, if i do it
                          Hmmm. Try a Lamborghini Countach Mod, or better yet, A Lamborghini LP640 Mod. I have seen a Corvette modded in Dicovery Channel's Monster Garage, They made a NOS injected one. I like that concept, not practical though.

Comment

ALso the amount of cutting required will weaken the unibody to modify it to 4wd. SAfest, more reliable and easier way is to get a 4wd truck/jeep chassis with the same wheelbase and bolt the body to that. Still gonna have to fab some things. We have a chevette running around here on a CJ7 chassis with 38" tires. COuple of el Caminos also with a similar setup. These were done apparently a loooong time ago when the lifted 4x4 thing was big.

Comment

Originally posted by fowweezer View Post
                              I know nothing about cars, but I've also got a Honda Civic that I'd like to just have lifted. This is the only place I've even seen mention of doing this. I don't do off-roading, I just want the ability to get it up some of the dirt trails in the mountains where I hike and climb, that require slightly higher-clearance vehicles. I don't even need 4WD, I just want higher clearance to get over a few of the ruts and stuff like that that it currently can't handle but my friend's jeep (stock, no changes) can. And I don't want to have to buy a new car, cause I love my Civic (gas mileage, reliability, etc).

So, how much would it cost me to get it lifted by someone who knows what they are doing? I'm just looking for an estimate before I decide to pursue this. Any ideas?
                              Just get some air struts/shocks and pump them up when needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X