car accident... problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car accident... problems

Dunno if this belongs here, or if any1 can help. my friend go into a car accident recently and because he is in college now, he cancelled his insurance. Thus, at the time when he was driving, there was no insurance to cover for the accident. I believe the other victim in the accident has decided to sue. Since my friend is a student and over 18... can there be limit on how much the other guy can sue? is there anything my friend can lighten the load? thx for any inputs...

Re: car accident... problems

I don't think being a student or not would matter at all

Where is he based?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

San Francisco, california

Comment

Does your friend have a clean record in the past? The only thing which may happen is the judge might be a little more "friendly" because your friend is a student
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

But then again the judge maybe very unfriendly just because he is a student though the judge maybe just like me and be just plain unsympathetic to anyone who drives without insurance.

Comment

In America your basically screwed when your stupid enough to drive without insurance. He can sue for everything, repair costs, hospital bills (if applicable), and punitive damages and you really can't do **** about it if the accident was deemed your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
              In America your basically screwed when your stupid enough to drive without insurance. He can sue for everything, repair costs, hospital bills (if applicable), and punitive damages and you really can't do **** about it if the accident was deemed your fault.
              Exactly. That's why you're supposed to have insurance legally. But maybe Darthtanion know something helpful, since he is involved in law enforcement...

Comment

If insurance is required, well he is screwed. Also does CA have a cap on liability claims for car accidents? Other than that, alot depends what the judge and/or jury decides the plaintiff should get from the defendant. If you cant afford the liability insurance, then you really shouldnt be driving on public roadways. My brother got lucky in his accident when he hit someone while driving uninsured. WI has a law stating if you are not wearing your seatbelt and are injured in a crash, you cant sue for medical even if the other driver was at fault.

Comment

i have just acquired more information... Basically he hit a parked car, and a witness saw. so at max ... he can only sue for the damage rite??

Comment

It is illegal to drive in the States uninsured.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                      It is illegal to drive in the States uninsured.
                      Not all. Is it irresponsible? Yes. (WI doesnt require it, but you will lose your license if you are involved in an accident without it. Strange huh?)

Drnknmonkey, yes all he will be liable for is damages and possibly a rental unit while the vehicle is being repaired. But this is most likely what will happen (assuming the guy he hit has uninsured motorists on his policy). Guy contacts his insurance, they find out your friend has none and they cut him a check to fix the car and rental (if they deem neccessary). Then the insurance company goes after your friend to recoup their loss. Depending on the state laws for him, he might lose his license and get hit with a hefty fine and in extreme cases, jail time. If the other guy doesnt have insurance or uninsured motorists, he might have to take him to court himself, but doing it this way the guy might try to say more things are wrong with the car if he's a sham artist. No one was hurt, so your friend should only need to pay the actual damages and possible a rental fee. How much damage is there on the guys car? Sorry, but this seems like its going to be an expensive lesson for him. Luckily he hit a parked car and didnt hurt anyone. And if he thought insurance was high for him then, wait until after. HE might be forced into getting high risk insurance (unless he had a completely clean record before). But good luck.

Comment

thx for all the input guys... i guess all i can do is take ur advice and try to find a good way to break it to my friend ^^

Comment

How long ago did he drop his insurance? Many states have a law requiring a 30 day grace period that the previous insurance company must cover.

Comment

Working...
                          X