Car advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm OK now :D

1988 Hyundai Excel, very comparable to the 1979 Honda Civic in many ways. 5-spd Manual (what I wanted), 5-door Hatch (also what I wanted), No Aircon (I wanted that) :cry:, 1.5L Engine (Carburettor - Don't like EFI). Light Blue in Colour, No rust, RWC, new tyres etc :bounce: :bounce2:

Question - there is a spot for the air conditioner, does anybody know how much an air conditioning unit would cost for this thing? :confused:

But at least it gets me out of travelling on the train and bus :thumb:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Good choice Al. I've got a Hyundi Lantra which I've had for the past 3 years and so far not one problem at all.My Hyundi

Comment

Apparantly, the earlier model Excels had an older style engine designed by Mitsubishi; it was only after demand increased that Hyundai made their own. I don't mind the carburettion one bit - at least I have some idea on how to fix that :laugh:

Went and bought some new car mats, wiper blades and assembly, and car seat covers. Hopefully will keep this car a little more rust free than the Honda (bit hard when sitting in the open all the time) :(

But at least it will spell the end of paying over $100/fortnight in public transport for both of us :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
          I'm OK now :D

1.5L Engine (Carburettor - Don't like EFI

.....How the hell?......

Why don't you like EFI?...:confused:

Comment

Well, all I can say is that a tank of fuel (which costs me about $35 Aus) does 460kms for around town trips and long distance trips I can get up to 600kms. So they're great on fuel. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Moose

.....How the hell?......

Why don't you like EFI?...:confused:

"E" stands for electronic = I can't usually fix :thumbs do

And injectors have a nasty habit of gumming up..... even if they are more economical ;)

Went for a spin around the streets tonight, front tyres must be replaced (wet road + hill + front wheel drive = spin)

Comment

Comment

Yes Moose, there are very distinct advantages to using EFI - it's just that I'm familiar with carburetters (ask Mr. C why he doesn't get a new car - same idea) :laugh:

And it rarely gets below 9 degrees where I live - so I don't have a problem with cold starts ;)

Got 2 new 13" Dunlops put on the front today, alignment and full balance. Seems OK, but the spare had an "illegal" puncture repair, whatever the hell that means :confused:

Power Steering reservoir is strangely missing (not that you need it in a small car anyway), looking at how much a compressor for the air conditioner would cost (a lot I imagine).

Just keeping peeps here up-to-date :wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                    Yes Moose, there are very distinct advantages to using EFI - it's just that I'm familiar with carburetters (ask Mr. C why he doesn't get a new car - same idea) :laugh:

And it rarely gets below 9 degrees where I live - so I don't have a problem with cold starts ;)
                    There's only a certain amount you can do at home anyway on a car nowdays...some day you will have to switch over...why not now?
                    hehe

Comment

I own a volkswagen Vento (jetta) It is a really good and reliable car!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MySTiCuSS
                        I own a volkswagen Vento (jetta) It is a really good and reliable car!!!

I agree MySTiCuSS, but Volkswagen parts are very hard to get (and very expensive) in Australia :(

Comment

There is no way in hell I would buy an engine with a carby. Too old and crappy, uneconomical and did i say old.

I'm happy with my EFI 2.4L 4-cyl toyota, good, reliable car.

And from what it sounds like Al, you got sold a lemon. Obviously the car has been stripped before it was handed over to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Slamo
                            And from what it sounds like Al, you got sold a lemon. Obviously the car has been stripped before it was handed over to you.

Err...... what happens if we were aware of that? ;)

If you strip things like the radio/CD player, you save $$$. If you get the 10" sub out, more $$$ saved (besides I need the boot space).

So it sometimes works out better to get a stripped car for a lot less than to pay thru the nose for a fully decked-out version :)

Comment

OK - some pics ;)

Comment

Engine Bay:

Comment

Working...
                                X