No announcement yet.

Tafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slamo a technician isnt paid exactly well, I'd probably be correct in saying its one of the lowest paying IT jobs, but I guess it depends who your working for. I guess I'm trying to say, it doesn't exactly take a TAFE course to get you a job as a computer technician.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
      I guess I'm trying to say, it doesn't exactly take a TAFE course to get you a job as a computer technician.

In fact, 80% of people in the IT industry have no formal qualifications......... if you want to work your arse off for $10/hour as a technician - feel free, but TAFE will help you get into a better job such as a Network Engineer (at least $35/hour) :)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Good point. But I'm a firm believer extensive practical experience is much better than any course can teach you. You shouldn't need a bit of paper to say you can do something.

Comment

Good point. But I'm a firm believer extensive practical experience is much better than any course can teach you. You shouldn't need a bit of paper to say you can do something.

That's a very Australian comment there.......... in some other countries you are immediately shunned if you don't have qualifications - unfortunately Australia is going the same way :cry:

Comment

Still, it's a "comment" I'll stick to for life.

Comment

Wasn't being critical, just pointing out the changing attitudes in AUS :)

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus

Wasn't being critical, just pointing out the changing attitudes in AUS :)
                I understand - It's just an opinion of mine that I feel passinate about.

Comment

In an ideal world, you would like to have both experience and qualifications, but in an uncertain world it is very difficult (if not impossible) to do this :(

Comment

I'm a firm believer extensive practical experience is much better than any course can teach you. You shouldn't need a bit of paper to say you can do something.
                    Yes, but how does one obtain or acquire that extensive practical experience in the first place?!? If not for the useles piece of paper.

I'm sorta facing that dilema. Altho I have experience with computers stretching back from 12-13yrs of age (21 now), and more importantly I am always learning and willing to take on new things, readily accept new ways of doing things, etc etc. but while I tried to major in CS at uni, I could not past the first requisite subject of programming in Blue (a stupid OO language they just made up for the sake of stuffing up my life).

Now my piece of paper will state my knowledge in something else - and while I'm not totally against that area, my passion still lies in computers. How does one like me find a job where someone is willing to give me a go - so I'm able to prove myself against the twits who know jack-all even tho they got a fancier piece of paper?!
                    Onyx

TweakTown
                    OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                    CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Albinus, in the tafe courses what if any do they teach about linux?
                      The reason I ask is that I have been tutoring a friend of a friend who is doing an IT course at Carsildine tafe and they are doing a linux component that they seem to be developing on the fly. I might look into the tafe scene next year after I complete my RedHat certification.
                      p-two.net

Comment

I agree 100% Mr. Tweak.
                        There are times though when a piece of paper is the key that opens the door to let opportunity enter.
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern
                          Albinus, in the tafe courses what if any do they teach about linux?
                          The reason I ask is that I have been tutoring a friend of a friend who is doing an IT course at Carsildine tafe and they are doing a linux component that they seem to be developing on the fly. I might look into the tafe scene next year after I complete my RedHat certification.

Well, to tell you the truth, the bosses are trying to blow smoke up M$'s arse :(

UNIX (not Linux - Solaris I think) is taught for half a semester in one subject - but after that it's all Windows NT/2000 for servers. However, there is one teacher who is a UNIX admin in real life, and he will teach UNIX and Linux until the cows come home - he hates M$ as well

He teaches advanced network operating systems, subjects CH4.3 and CH4.4 - so there you go :)

But by and large the TAFE is too busy trying to make $$$ so they suck up to M$ :cry:

Comment

I agree with Mr T, starting at the ground floor so to speak really helps your knowledge of the job, but unfortunately, advancement seems to be limited even if you do know the ins and outs of the job, more than likely a person with the "right" qualifications and no idea of work to be done is given preference over the poor bunny who started at the bottom, and even if you are lucky to get the promotion, the wages received are a lot lower than if they hired someone from "outside"

Comment

Ahhhh ^^there's^^ Olie the culprit caught by his own admission too. :D
                              <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                                [B]But by and large the TAFE is too busy trying to make $$$ so they suck up to M$ :cry:
                                If thats their prime motivation then you'd think they'd be using the least expensive solution not one of the most expensive ones...or are M$ academic prices that cheap?
                                p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                                X